Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #1

Another DRL question

I have a US spec car that got imported to canada 15 years ago. I was just going through it today to see if I can disable the DRL that the dealership installed. I looked for a jumper cable, and couldn’t find one. I pulled out the relay, and the fog lights were still on. I pulled the fuse for the fog lights and they stayed on. Not sure where else to look as they seem to have hidden the solution pretty well. I even went as far as checking the headlights themselves to see if anything weird was wired in and nothing.
There does not appear to have an extra relay added into the panel or the fuse box.

The lights are always on when keys are in the ignition, but turn off once the main headlights are turned on.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look next? Im disabling them cause it looks weird and I may as well have the main headlights on as the fog lights pretty much light up everything anyways

986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #2

DRL LEDs - Wiring them correctly

There may be useful info here. Not a direct response, but it may be the way they were installed.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

So I finally figured out how the dealership did the DRL installation so clean. They hid the relay just above the fuse box so it’s hidden under the panel. I barely saw the single wire that was zip tied after the fact as it blended in so well. After taking the relay out and taping the ends of the wires it’s good to go.

Can anyone confirm the operation of the headlight switch?

When the keys are on the ON position:
First click it will turn on the illumination.
Second click turns on the headlights/high beams

Keys in the OFF position
First click it will turn on the illumination
Second click does not turn on the headlights but with turn on once the keys turned to the ON position.

986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote