Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Garage
Aftermarket Intake Discussion

Did some searching and didn't find too much on the topic, so I though I'd see what people had done. I found a few options ranging from de-snorkeling to full replacement. For our convenience, they are:

1) De-Snorkel. That's been hashed to death, so I'd prefer not to discuss here

2) Air Filter upgrade (aFe, K&N, etc). Some claim MAF problems with the higher airflow of these filters. I am currently running an K&N with no ill effect. (33-2773 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter direct from K&N)

3) "Super Stock" upgrade that replaces the intake track to smooth airflow out. Such as aFe's product (aFe Super Stock Intake System for Porsche Boxster). Air box is not replaced. HUGE claims of 14hp increases.

4) Full replacement with a cold-air system such as Fabspeed's intake (Fabspeed Porsche 986 Boxster/S Cold Air Intake). Modest HP increase of 7hp claimed.

So, would love to get your thoughts and experiences with these!

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #2

dude, lots of stuff on this forum (and others) on the topic; i'll provide some of the salient points ...

- aftermarket filters - the oil used can foul the maf (happened to me); has nothing to do with the increased airflow as you state. once the oil is gone, more particulate matter is allowed to pass, shortening the life of your engine.

- smoothing out airflow - this makes some sense, unless you buy into the concept that the resonance chamber that you are deleting is actually there to absorb pressure waves caused by the intake tuning from traveling upstream and impeding airflow. there is also the fact that the oem intake tube is of a decreasing diameter in order to facilitate intake tuning - you sacrifice low rpm torque for high rpm hp.

- cold air system? what do you think is in the car now - a completely sealed unit that only draws air from the outside. and you want to replace it with a unit that is not sealed on four sides and has a piece of weather-stripping to seal the top? iat drastically affects hp, and something like this will increase iat - it's a hot air intake. also note that some (uncertain if fabspeed) use metal for the enclosure - heats up faster and is heavier. I note that the product you list is for a 986 or a 986S - did you know that the two models have different diameter maf housings? the ecu uses the diameter of the maf housing, and the signal from the maf, to determine airflow. change the maf housing size and you use up a big part of the 20% ltft adaptation available to you. ps, this thing has an oiled filter as well - see above.

personally, I think the best solution is to do what Porsche did on the 2004 anniversary edition - use the airbox from the 2005+ boxster/cayman. better airflow, larger filter element. a factory cold air intake.

edit to add - other options are the generic cold air intakes such as the k&n Apollo and the bmc CDA and DIA. I've tried these and, if large enough for the airflow required by our engines, are a pain to fit in the engine compartment.

there is also the product available for the 987/cayman (I think by evo) that mounts the filter in the space between the engine compartment and the quarter panel. apparently the are quite loud (they are, for all intents and purposes, located in the cabin) and rain ingestion is an issue. and the oem air box is just as good.

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Others may disagree but the stock intake is about the last thing I want to modify on my car. I value the big fat torque curve that Porsche massaged out of these little motors more than a few hp above 6200 rpm. On a road course, torque wins races.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Others may disagree but the stock intake is about the last thing I want to modify on my car. I value the big fat torque curve that Porsche massaged out of these little motors more than a few hp above 6200 rpm. On a road course, torque wins races.
Thats all well and good for you 2.5/2.7 guys, but those of us with 3.2/3.4/3.6 engines in our boxsters enjoy a significant increase in power across the board by installing a Cayman S airbox. I dont feel like I lost any low end torque when I installed mine...

Id vote for installing a Cayman S air box.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

for those running a 987 air box, here's an interesting link on how to extract a few more hp from it (go to near the bottom where they modify the filter hanger ...):

Air Intake Design Review - Articles
Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
Thats all well and good for you 2.5/2.7 guys, but those of us with 3.2/3.4/3.6 engines in our boxsters enjoy a significant increase in power across the board by installing a Cayman S airbox. I dont feel like I lost any low end torque when I installed mine...

Id vote for installing a Cayman S air box.
You're speaking of the "use the airbox from the 2005+ boxster/cayman" Radium mentions below, true?
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #7

Garage
Thx Again TRK!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
dude, lots of stuff on this forum (and others) on the topic; i'll provide some of the salient points ...

- aftermarket filters - the oil used can foul the maf (happened to me); has nothing to do with the increased airflow as you state. once the oil is gone, more particulate matter is allowed to pass, shortening the life of your engine.

- smoothing out airflow - this makes some sense, unless you buy into the concept that the resonance chamber that you are deleting is actually there to absorb pressure waves caused by the intake tuning from traveling upstream and impeding airflow. there is also the fact that the oem intake tube is of a decreasing diameter in order to facilitate intake tuning - you sacrifice low rpm torque for high rpm hp.

- cold air system? what do you think is in the car now - a completely sealed unit that only draws air from the outside. and you want to replace it with a unit that is not sealed on four sides and has a piece of weather-stripping to seal the top? iat drastically affects hp, and something like this will increase iat - it's a hot air intake. also note that some (uncertain if fabspeed) use metal for the enclosure - heats up faster and is heavier. I note that the product you list is for a 986 or a 986S - did you know that the two models have different diameter maf housings? the ecu uses the diameter of the maf housing, and the signal from the maf, to determine airflow. change the maf housing size and you use up a big part of the 20% ltft adaptation available to you. ps, this thing has an oiled filter as well - see above.

personally, I think the best solution is to do what Porsche did on the 2004 anniversary edition - use the airbox from the 2005+ boxster/cayman. better airflow, larger filter element. a factory cold air intake.

edit to add - other options are the generic cold air intakes such as the k&n Apollo and the bmc CDA and DIA. I've tried these and, if large enough for the airflow required by our engines, are a pain to fit in the engine compartment.

there is also the product available for the 987/cayman (I think by evo) that mounts the filter in the space between the engine compartment and the quarter panel. apparently the are quite loud (they are, for all intents and purposes, located in the cabin) and rain ingestion is an issue. and the oem air box is just as good.

Would a 2005 air box fit in a 2001 986? How difficult of a job is that?
elicausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

not too bad. read here:

987 v 986 Air box

most of the work is getting the old one out and the new one in.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #10

Just posted a YouTube video highlighting the dyno results of the FabSpeed air intake coupled with the IPD Plenum and larger throttle body on a Boxster S, chassis 986.

Wanted to share it in hopes that it helps the next person looking for the information… (Hint, it didn’t add any horsepower overall, in fact the average horsepower between 3500k-7000k rpm was reduced).

Here’s the link https://youtu.be/zRUHnGPJC0Q
michaelpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #11

It wasn’t mentioned in the video or comments- was the car driven to allow it to adjust? Thanks for making this!
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpetersen3 View Post
Just posted a YouTube video highlighting the dyno results of the FabSpeed air intake coupled with the IPD Plenum and larger throttle body on a Boxster S, chassis 986.

Wanted to share it in hopes that it helps the next person looking for the information… (Hint, it didn’t add any horsepower overall, in fact the average horsepower between 3500k-7000k rpm was reduced).

Here’s the link https://youtu.be/zRUHnGPJC0Q
Mike,

Did you try it with the stock airbox? I would be surprised to see it loose power in that case.