Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #1

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hi
I am experiencing all of the "classic" CPS "soon to fail symptoms". The big one is when I am running errands (driving around town (go here, stop there, go here, repeat) intermittently the car will crank but not start. It feels like no spark and once it cools off a bit, starts again and runs fine. This rough running is a very rare occurrence and the no-start is a very sporadic thing.

It doesn't stall or cut out, just cranks and either won't start or starts but runs rough and then I quickly shut it off, wait and it then starts again. It's an 02 Base 165k, just had new coils, new plugs, secondary air system, and fuel pump was replaced about a year ago. I suppose I am "just throwing parts" at it, but it's where I have decided to start.

It does not display any other symptoms and runs great otherwise.

I have ordered a Bosch CPS and am pretty certain replacing it doesn't look too difficult.

But, I am unclear about the electrical connector. Is it similar to an O2 electrical connector? The videos I have watched, The 2 books I have and my research all indicate that this connection is the tricky part. Bentley says to disconnect the harness from the connector by "sliding right" There really aren't any clear pictures that I have found as it's in a "no see" zone and is done by feel, apparently. My question is how to tackle the connector and what type it is. Is it like the O2 sensor electrical connection (those just pull straight out) or is it more like the connector under the passenger seat (which involves unlocking a tab and then sliding the connector to the right to unlock it and then pulling down) I am guessing that a "slide right" type connector is more secure than one that simply pulls down. I may be over-thinking all of this, but then again I am now a Boxster owner. Thanks-

robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

as I recall it and if its the same on my older boxster, you press the tab(s) and pull straight out. Its like a 3 prong connector, so there would be no point on one of those press and slide to the right style retainers.

This was about a 10 min job, no gotchas i can recall
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #3

Now that's the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

I put in the new sensor a few moments ago. I did manage to break off the tabs on two of the connectors that I opened to gain access to the sensor. I wrapped them with electrical tape and then zip tied them into their respective holders. It seems that any piece of plastic on this car breaks when I look at it.
Should I be concerned about these connectors?
I would need to have my indie solder in new ones if that's necessary.
I also realize if they shake loose and become intermittent or disconnect, I then have a bigger problem.
I will report back on how things go with a warm engine.
thanks-
Old 08-18-2021, 04:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
I put in the new sensor a few moments ago. I did manage to break off the tabs on two of the connectors that I opened to gain access to the sensor. I wrapped them with electrical tape and then zip tied them into their respective holders. It seems that any piece of plastic on this car breaks when I look at it.
Should I be concerned about these connectors?
I would need to have my indie solder in new ones if that's necessary.
I also realize if they shake loose and become intermittent or disconnect, I then have a bigger problem.
I will report back on how things go with a warm engine.
thanks-
Any update?