Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Radio wire harness help

Hello
I have a new double din navigation system im putting in my 2004 s with bose and i cannot identify the wires here.
Where can i get an adapter for ths ? I bougbt one and it doesnt match up (top)
This is what i see in tbe dash


Last edited by Blackroot; 01-12-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
This is the adapter i have wired up. The bellow yellow adapter doesnt fit this. The other black one does

Last edited by Blackroot; 01-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SierraVista,AZ
Posts: 15
Reference help

There's a wealth of information on car-store.com. If you have the Bose, with fiber optic to the amplifier, then you will need to replace the amplifier as well to interface to the existing speakers, or do some kind of custom installation.

My car, 2003 Boxster S, with Bose, door speakers, no navigation, is going to have the head unit and amplifier replaced this coming week. I really wanted Apple CarPlay and a nice display.

I spent lots of time researching how to get a better head unit, but I was continually led to the need for head unit/amplifier replacement, and a wiring nightmare.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 153
Actually, replacing the amps with the Bose system and an aftermarket head unit replacement is not necessary at all, unless of course you'd like to. Both Crutchfield and some Porsche specialty radio shops offer MOST fiber optic adapter boxes that allow you to keep all the Bose system intact should you choose to go down that path instead of total replacement.

The top of the line solution is the NAVTV MOST HUR 997 box. It's very pricey at over $500 but it's pretty much plug and play and allows you to retain your steering wheel controls, should you have them.

Car Audio Innovations offers a box that will do everything but the steering wheel controls for significantly less.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Actually, replacing the amps with the Bose system and an aftermarket head unit replacement is not necessary at all, unless of course you'd like to. Both Crutchfield and some Porsche specialty radio shops offer MOST fiber optic adapter boxes that allow you to keep all the Bose system intact should you choose to go down that path instead of total replacement.

The top of the line solution is the NAVTV MOST HUR 997 box. It's very pricey at over $500 but it's pretty much plug and play and allows you to retain your steering wheel controls, should you have them.

Car Audio Innovations offers a box that will do everything but the steering wheel controls for significantly less.
Thanks Doug-
I am going to try this option here, but I dont if my Bose fiber-optic system in my 2004 Boxster S Special Edition is a DB2 or MOST. Any idea ?
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decoder-Mercedes-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B07J463FM7/ref=asc_df_B07J463FM7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241923266288&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13071146121029346864&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024568&hvtargid=pla-601136414355&psc=1

Last edited by Blackroot; 01-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
Are sure that will work it says 2005 and up Porsche.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Thats why i asked. 2004 Cayman is on there, and i see nothing about Porsche running DB2 fiber anywhere ever. MERCEDES, yes.

Last edited by Blackroot; 01-14-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
I just wanted to give a shout out to an amazing stereo/audio company: https://www.crutchfield.com

These people are well priced, friendly and helpful.
Hands down the best experience I have had with a company in a long, long time.
crutchfield
BR
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Are sure that will work it says 2005 and up Porsche.
It works ! Just hooked it up to the new navigation radio and all the MOST fiber factory Bose speakers and amp work.

Well worth the 95$ if you want to keep your factory setup, which isn't that bad
product here:
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decoder-Mercedes-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B07J463FM7/ref=asc_df_B07J463FM7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241923266288&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13071146121029346864&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024568&hvtargid=pla-601136414355&psc=1

My car: 2004 S special edition with Bose

Last edited by Blackroot; 01-18-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
It works ! Just hooked it up to the new navigation radio and all the MOST fiber factory Bose speakers and amp work.

Well worth the 95$ if you want to keep your factory setup, which isn't that bad
product here:
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decoder-Mercedes-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B07J463FM7/ref=asc_df_B07J463FM7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241923266288&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13071146121029346864&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024568&hvtargid=pla-601136414355&psc=1

My car: 2004 S special edition with Bose
Thats good to hear! My car is a 2000 so no most, upgraded everything already. After seeing other post about the 2004 cayman thought it would, you never know.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Powell River, BC
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
It works ! Just hooked it up to the new navigation radio and all the MOST fiber factory Bose speakers and amp work.

Well worth the 95$ if you want to keep your factory setup, which isn't that bad
product here:
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Decoder-Mercedes-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B07J463FM7/ref=asc_df_B07J463FM7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241923266288&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13071146121029346864&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024568&hvtargid=pla-601136414355&psc=1

My car: 2004 S special edition with Bose
So all you had to do was plug that decoder between the amp and your new radio and everything worked?
dachrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachrist View Post
So all you had to do was plug that decoder between the amp and your new radio and everything worked?
Decoded nothing.
Plug and play
I plugged that Box in directly from my factory Bose system.

Everything works and it's boosted.
2004, S Spyder special

Last edited by Blackroot; 01-23-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Powell River, BC
Posts: 21
I guess what I mean is that you still had to fab up some sort of connection between your new radio and into the Optical box you purchased off of Amazon, which then plugged into the Bose amp?
dachrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachrist View Post
I guess what I mean is that you still had to fab up some sort of connection between your new radio and into the Optical box you purchased off of Amazon, which then plugged into the Bose amp?
Once you unplug the factory cdr23 radio (in my case) optical connector, that same connector plugged directly into this new bypass optical box. You then wire up the red, yellow and black wires from the new box (B+, ACC and ground), and then hook the RCA jacks to front left and rear right from your new radio RCA outputs.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page