Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #21

That is a slick hydraulic lift. Where did you get that ?
I need one of those

Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroot View Post
That is a slick hydraulic lift. Where did you get that ?
I need one of those
Thanks, it’s a QuickJack 7000. There are 6 models now, with ratings from 3,500 to 7,000 lbs. I went for the 7000 because I also use it to lift my Explo Sport. Just google for their website. I think Pelican sells them also.

IIRC, the maximum lift for a Boxster is at least a couple of inches short to drop the engine, but for everything else it’s been great for me.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-03-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Thanks, it’s a QuickJack 7000. There are 6 models now, with ratings from 3,500 to 7,000 lbs. I went for the 7000 because I also use it to lift my Explo Sport. Just google for their website. I think Pelican sells them also.

IIRC, the maximum lift for a Boxster is at least a couple of inches short to drop the engine, but for everything else it’s been great for me.
That's easy enough to fix. Make a couple of small ramps that are the extra height you need, drive the car up on the ramps. Get an extra set of rubber blocks for the QuickJack and add them and you are good to go!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #24

UPDATE: I believe I have found the problem. My clutch power spring was broken and wound back into itself. Under certain conditions the broken part of the spring would bind on the inner guide of the spring cover, sticking the pedal about half way through its travel. Just looking at the spring action when depressing the clutch was deceiving - the spring appeared to be intact and expanding/compressing correctly because the longer broken piece was long enough to keep tension on the pedal in both the released and fully depressed positions.

I’ll be rebuilding the power spring assembly using the lighter McMaster-Carr spring as specified in the long Rennlist thread which discusses the 986/996 power spring in great detail ( //********.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically )

One quick point regarding removal of the power spring - I did not have to remove the clevis pin from the power spring assembly to remove the power spring assembly from the car. The spring assembly simply sets/snaps in the clutch pedal receiver with the pin in place.

Be careful if you elect to work with the power spring assembly - the spring is under ~90lbs of compression pressure. You can seriously injure yourself and/or your car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-10-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #25

Garage
A lot of Boxsters are driving around with broken clutch assist springs. They cause several perplexing problems. One is that the cruise control becomes unreliable, or simply doesn't work because the clutch lockout switch never gets depressed enough. Another is the one you describe, and finally heavy clutch action.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #26

McMaster-Carr spring arrived and is installed. ~1/2” shorter, smaller diameter, lighter spring rate. Haven’t had the chance to do anything other than dry test it, but I already know I’m going to like it. I’ll be really surprised if it doesn’t address my binding clutch pedal problem. Against Porsche install instructions I did apply a light coat of lithium grease to everything. I’ll post final drive test results as soon as the car is back on the road.

Thought I took a pic of it compressed and pinned but I guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.