View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #24
Oldcarguy

UPDATE: I believe I have found the problem. My clutch power spring was broken and wound back into itself. Under certain conditions the broken part of the spring would bind on the inner guide of the spring cover, sticking the pedal about half way through its travel. Just looking at the spring action when depressing the clutch was deceiving - the spring appeared to be intact and expanding/compressing correctly because the longer broken piece was long enough to keep tension on the pedal in both the released and fully depressed positions.

I’ll be rebuilding the power spring assembly using the lighter McMaster-Carr spring as specified in the long Rennlist thread which discusses the 986/996 power spring in great detail ( //********.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically )

One quick point regarding removal of the power spring - I did not have to remove the clevis pin from the power spring assembly to remove the power spring assembly from the car. The spring assembly simply sets/snaps in the clutch pedal receiver with the pin in place.

Be careful if you elect to work with the power spring assembly - the spring is under ~90lbs of compression pressure. You can seriously injure yourself and/or your car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-10-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote