Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
On the slippery slope

Garage
Brakes are probubly the easiest DIY you can do other than changing the oil.

Meyle Rotors on Ebay or Amazon generially run around $90 a pair
Powerstop Ceraminc pads about $50 a set.

I run Meyle rotors and tracl]k my car many times a year and have had no issues at all.
I also use powerstop as my street pads and have autorossed with them. They stop on a dime and give you a nickle change. Virtyually no dust and quite as a church mouse

An hour to change a battery??? Even Pep boys installs them for free and it no big deal to install it anyway

Diy oil change depending on what oil you use is around $65 (using the oil that the sticker on the car notes) buy it at Walyworld

Brake fluid flush, well you can buy t\your very oown power bleeder and a few liters of ATE-200 brake fluis foer less than $130

$1194 for plugs, ait filter, cabin filter (probubly doesn't need to be changed anyway) drive belt fuel filter and wiper blades is outrageous

Changing a WP is a liittle chalanging, but very DIT|Y doanble. Do a search and you will find many threads on it. $1675 for the WP, belt pullys and coolant flush is a bit high

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 8 View Post
How bad am I getting it?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
$1194 for plugs, ait filter, cabin filter (probubly doesn't need to be changed anyway) drive belt fuel filter and wiper blades is outrageous
you may be surprised but living in suburb area of LA, gets the cabin filter filthy and cannot imagine what does to our lungs..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
you may be surprised but living in suburb area of LA, gets the cabin filter filthy and cannot imagine what does to our lungs..
And a cabin filter does a whole lot in a convertible
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #25

Appreciate the responses. I am going to let them do the water pump, pulleys/tensioners, coolant flush, brake fluid flush and AC vacuum and charge ($150). About $2500

I'm going to do brakes/rotors, plugs (they wanted $20 a plug), oil change, all filters, oil sending unit and of course the wiper blades. Top will be about $1500 installed. Auto top direct has been the best/recommendation I've found. $409 for a top/plastic window. I'll put decent tires on it but not going all out there. Should be about $800 installed. Then I detail the hell out of it!.....which I enjoy. May actually take a day off work to do it.

I'm not real happy they put a battery in and just started it. They said it sounded clicky for awhile until it got oiled....well, yea. I'll run this gas through it and then change the fuel filter so I don't have to do it twice. I think there's only a quarter of a tank in it if I remember. I'm a little concerned about that too. Hoping there's not garbage that gets picked up and clogs lines etc. Maybe run some injector cleaner through a couple times too. Never believed much in those "cleaners" in a bottle though. We'll see. I'm really excited though...after the shock wore off and I figured out what I can do.
Bravo 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 8 View Post
Appreciate the responses. I am going to let them do the water pump, pulleys/tensioners, coolant flush, brake fluid flush and AC vacuum and charge ($150). About $2500

I'm going to do brakes/rotors, plugs (they wanted $20 a plug), oil change, all filters, oil sending unit and of course the wiper blades. Top will be about $1500 installed. Auto top direct has been the best/recommendation I've found. $409 for a top/plastic window. I'll put decent tires on it but not going all out there. Should be about $800 installed. Then I detail the hell out of it!.....which I enjoy. May actually take a day off work to do it.

I'm not real happy they put a battery in and just started it. They said it sounded clicky for awhile until it got oiled....well, yea. I'll run this gas through it and then change the fuel filter so I don't have to do it twice. I think there's only a quarter of a tank in it if I remember. I'm a little concerned about that too. Hoping there's not garbage that gets picked up and clogs lines etc. Maybe run some injector cleaner through a couple times too. Never believed much in those "cleaners" in a bottle though. We'll see. I'm really excited though...after the shock wore off and I figured out what I can do.
First, welcome.
Some quick thoughts for what its worth. Not stepping on anyone else with this, there is a good deal of experience and intellect available. Lots of good advice here, but buying the bentley manual and the "projects" book from pelican is the best of this great advice. You need to figure out things along the way, ask on the forums and have the book to re-enforce your understanding of hows, whys and wheres.
It s an old car, its a great car, but if you aren't wrenching it yourself as much as possible, its an impossibly expensive car. Wrenching it is also fun, my cars are more of a hobby then cars, and you can be sure its done well.
You need to use a reputable independent or the dealer, others will make assumptions or do things wrong with catastrophic results. many of us have been through that buying a car with bad service history.
Tires? Buy the best for where you are driving and the weather you expect to roll the car in. they aren't expensive and 800 bucks buy a great set of tires, poll the audience here for advice.
Consider a glass-back top, they last longer and you can drop the top in colder weather without fear, plus you can see out the back and have a defroster. 500 bucks for a top is fine, the real expense is installing it, it will take you all day or you will pay someone 600 bucks or more to install it. (and hope they do a good job)
I assume manual tranny, but you should consider fluid changes on everything given the time it sat.
Dont ignore the advice on the drains, make sure they are clean and draining, 2 in the rear, two up front and the condensation drain for the A/C under the carpet in the passenger foot well. A good rain can flood the floors and ruin your immobilizer, flood the frunk, make the car smell, etc. etc.
oh yeah...2002, the SINGLE row IMS bearing, so read up on that and save your money for that service if it concerns you, might as well replace the clutch and cam tension pads as the same time.

most of all, enjoy.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 05-27-2019 at 08:09 PM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #27
inveniam viam aut faciam

If the cluster isn't reading the oil level and/or a fault is displayed, I have found that 90% of the time it's the cluster on the '01+ 986/996s, not the sensor. This is usually the result of connecting jumper cables backwards, even for an instant. I have repaired a bunch of these, especially in spring when people bring their cars out of storage.