Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Koni shocks

So, looks like Pelican is having a pretty good sale this month on Koni products for our cars. Any word on how they are overall? Street/Street trim track days? I'm still considering coil-overs when it's time, but the Koni's seem to be a decent deal...

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

That's not a very good deal. TireRack had them much cheaper
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ttleBastard View Post
That's not a very good deal. TireRack had them much cheaper
Good to know... Generally Koni's have a good reputation, but I haven't heard much relative to the 986...
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
There have been a few user posts on the FSDs and the Sport dampers.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
There have been a few user posts on the FSDs and the Sport dampers.
Koni FSD or now called Special Active Strut are said to work with stock springs but I'm wondering anybody successful with H&R lowered (around 25mm) springs. I do not bottom out my suspension so I may get by???
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

I emailed with koni and they said as long as you are not riding on the bumpstops alot you should be ok with Special Active and lowering springs. Let me see if i can fund it.

Quote:
However, the FSD/Special Active dampers do not care if you have OE or lowering springs at all, but to work properly you do need to do your best not to allow the car to impact the bump rubbers very often during normal use. Since they are non-adjustable though it is best to not increase the spring rate much more than that of the factory rates or they will become under damped, though I do not know of any company currently making a stiffer factory ride height spring.
If lowering with a aftermarket spring ,although it does no damage to the selective damping system, a harsh, high frequency impact into a bump rubber will be seen by the system just like a high frequency road surface impact and it will be in blow-off mode to allow the energy to be un-damped for a smooth ride,. Since normally a bump rubber impact needs more damping control and not less, the car may likely feel under damped when you spike the bump rubbers hard (this will happen more often with the lowered suspension. Because of this, it is very important for proper function for the car to a keep ride height and spring rate combination from allowing too much bump rubber contact. While it is not KONI’s preferred combination, (Sports would be best option for lowering/stiffer spring) it does not harm the shocks, it just may not give the same amount of comfort and ride quality control you would normally get with the FSD/Active’s with OE springs

Certain applications which have been ride tested have been approved for use along with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, as mentioned earlier it takes a bit more testing than the adjustable Sports due to the frequency selective feature. Some applications such as the Mini Cooper, and C5/C6 Corvette we recommend only the factory ride height if using the FSD/Special Actives. The 986 is an application that our engineering’s have not yet done any lowered ride height development on, however the springs rate increase is very minimal if the numbers are in fact correct for the Eibach’s. The question then would become how much bumpstop does the spring use. If you are able to keep the car off of the bumpstops as much as possible with the lowering springs, it’s very likely the combination would work just fine.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #7

Swiftmotoring has koni sports with lowering springs and his car rocks
Old 11-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I am using H&R M030 spec springs with FSD.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #9

If you think you're gonna get serious about track work, don't bother. Its an interim step and you'll want more quickly. I recently bought feal single adjustable coilovers and its a big step up from my bilstein HD/H&R setup.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
FSD and Sport are intended to be track day focussed.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
FSD and Sport are intended to be track day focussed.
marketing wank. FSD are not designed for anything more than entry level track use.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I recently bought feal single adjustable coilovers and its a big step up from my bilstein HD/H&R setup.
How'd you settle on the FEAL Coilovers? What were your criteriae? I don't know enough about them, and I sometimes get into a pinch where, if I don't know enough, I buy the more expensive, haha. So I've considered the Ohlins R&T, figuring I can't go wrong. But it looks like the R&T's are about 250% more $$ than the FEAL?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #13

I settled on Feal for a few reasons.

1. Custom spring rates, I used spec boxster rates
2. Semi custom valving
3. Height adjustment separate from spring preload
4. included camber plates on both front and rear
5. Cost
6. several years of good reviews from Subaru community and reasonably priced rebuild services

Money no object, I would buy some JRZs, but so far, the Feals have performed well. If anything, I could have gone higher on spring rate, but thats not Feal's fault.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I settled on Feal for a few reasons.

1. Custom spring rates, I used spec boxster rates
2. Semi custom valving
3. Height adjustment separate from spring preload
4. included camber plates on both front and rear
5. Cost
6. several years of good reviews from Subaru community and reasonably priced rebuild services

Money no object, I would buy some JRZs, but so far, the Feals have performed well. If anything, I could have gone higher on spring rate, but thats not Feal's fault.
I assume they're great at the track? How are they on the street?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
My post was meant to read not intended for track use.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #16

my ksports are going to feal for revalving. seem like a top-notch organisation.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I assume they're great at the track? How are they on the street?
Really good at halfway through adjustment range. My suspension is all monoball and the ride is actually quite good. Im very pleased right now.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #18

I think you might have one of the first sets of Feal for the 986, any more details or photos? I've heard good things.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #19

My challenge with coilovers is height. I am not 100% sure if I have stock dampers/springs (haven’t looked as I haven’t needed them) but I’m pretty sure they are. I don’t want to lower my car anymore than it is. I’ve got a very steep driveway and run 19’s. Lowering would make it difficult around town, speed bumps etc. Looks like most reasonable coilovers start at a minimum 1” drop. If I could find a set of coilovers that start at the stock height and can be lowered from there, I’m all in.

Last edited by Geof3; 11-05-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #20

Steve, happy to provide any details youre looking for. The basics are that install was easy, fit was a non issue, performance at both summit pt and njmp has been very good, ride is good, and no quality issues. Took a while to get to me after ordering but otherwise im very pleased.

Geof3, feal ships with spacers thst can get you back to stock ride height so long as you get about 2 inches into the pinch collar on the upright