Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #1

Lost my sound :(

Last week I finally got around to replacing my heater core, which went smoothly enough except for a burst of coolant when I disconnected the hoses and one of my clamps didn't seal things very well. After getting that mess cleaned up and everything buttoned back together, I found nothing coming out of my speakers. The radio (CDR23) lights up as it should, the mute is off, the fuses are fine. For what it's worth, what seems like a fan on the left (passenger) side of the amp doesn't seem to be spinning, but I don't know if it's always supposed to (indicating no power there, or just not triggered so idle). I didn't see a fuse on the amp itself anyplace, but didn't remove it from its bracket so maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's something else entirely. (I was thinking maybe the coolant spill hit the amp and is at the root of my problem, but with the fuse in the panel ok, could only think of a fuse in the amp itself blowing as a sign of that, if there is one?) Anyone have suggestions I should pursue to figure this out? I'm thinking of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery again just to see if that changes anything, but don't really see why it should and hoping it might be something else I've not thought of yet.

Thanks in advance.

bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Did you have to remove the headunit to replace the heater core, if so, double check those connections?
Do you have a volt meter to test the amp to see if it is getting power?
Before disconnecting the battery try the reset button on the headunit if there is one present. I replaced my headunit a couple months after buying car and can't remember if and where the reset button is located on factory headunit.
I have had strange stuff happen as well doing repairs and it seems like a coincidence to be honest.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

More detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
Did you have to remove the headunit to replace the heater core, if so, double check those connections?
Do you have a volt meter to test the amp to see if it is getting power?
Before disconnecting the battery try the reset button on the headunit if there is one present. I replaced my headunit a couple months after buying car and can't remember if and where the reset button is located on factory headunit.
I have had strange stuff happen as well doing repairs and it seems like a coincidence to be honest.
For those who haven't had the joy of replacing the heater core, lucky you. Actually, the service folks at my local dealership say it's a very uncommon job on our cars, so I guess it's really (un)lucky me. The good news is, unlike other cars I've owned, on the Boxster there's no fiddling with/in the dash to access/replace it. You actually do so in the frunk, it's aft of the battery (for the curious, see those two hoses behind where the battery's sitting? You've found your heater core. You have to remove the battery, the entire windshield wiper assembly, and two support braces to gain access, but it's actually relatively simple).

Ok, end of lesson. Back to my issue. Testing the amp to see if it's getting power seems a good idea, if I can figure out where to put the leads. LOTS of wires in the back of that thing, need to think on which might be hot. I'll give it a more careful look and try that, but still happy for more informed advice.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Problem solved !!!!Pulled the amp this morning, pulled out the wiring harness, turned on the car and head unit and checked for voltage at the top two connections (heavier wires, second being brown suggesting ground, so assumed the top red&blue was hot. No reading. Back to the fuse bank, pulled the last two on row D, turns out the 8 is the head unit and the 9 must be the amp. Both still looked good, but when I replaced, I suddenly had sound coming out! Don't know how/why the fuse would have jiggled loose, but i'm not complaining.
\
Small issue on reassembly. the bolts that hold the top of the bracket holding the amp seem to have nothing to bite into when I replace them. Just slide all the way in. Checked in the battery compartment and the bolts don't extend thru, so I don't see how to get something behind them.

Anyone out there remove/reinstall the amp and have any tips for me to get this back in solidly?