Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Thom

Garage
Question What the hell is this this?

Good Evening everyone. I've developed an issue and I believe this is the source of my engine revving up and down at idle, it is also where I believe my oil leak is originating. As you can see the boot of this piece is torn and when at idle you can see air misting the oil as the engine pops up in rpms. I'm going to replace it, but I really should find out what it is. My maintenance book is at home but buried under 2000 sqft of floor tiles and thinset/grout. That was poor planning on my part.

I believe it is the AOS, but hell it may be the MAF sensor/tubes. Hell it could really be anything. The pictures are rotated 90 degress to the right and I can't figure out how to fix it. Also, the part is on the right side of the engine above the axle. one side of the big box with a circle on top goes to the intake area.

If you have experience with this I'd appreciate any helpful hints too.
Thanks.
Thom

Here is a link to some video I shot of it. https://youtu.be/odypXHBulgE

Last edited by Calmg0d; 10-12-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Add detail and try to fix pictures.
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmg0d View Post
Good Evening everyone. I've developed an issue and I believe this is the source of my engine revving up and down at idle, it is also where I believe my oil leak is originating. As you can see the boot of this piece is torn and when at idle you can see air misting the oil as the engine pops up in rpms. I'm going to replace it, but I really should find out what it is. My maintenance book is at home but buried under 2000 sqft of floor tiles and thinset/grout. That was poor planning on my part.

I believe it is the AOS, but hell it may be the MAF sensor/tubes. Hell it could really be anything. The pictures are rotated 90 degress to the right and I can't figure out how to fix it. Also, the part is on the right side of the engine above the axle. one side of the big box with a circle on top goes to the intake area.

If you have experience with this I'd appreciate any helpful hints too.
Thanks.
Thom

Here is a link to some video I shot of it. https://youtu.be/odypXHBulgE

Yes. That is your AOS. My boot looked exactly the same when I replaced it a couple weeks ago, and when I went to "feel" it... it literally melted like butter in my hand.

You could replace just the boot. My recommendation is to replace the entire AOS with the OEM part.

How do I know this? There are minds far sharper than mine on this forum, and I listen.

Are you throwing any codes? Mine (1124/1126/0150) have been absent since the AOS replacement.

Perhaps one of those sharper minds can confirm my diagnosis.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Thom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Yes. That is your AOS. My boot looked exactly the same when I replaced it a couple weeks ago, and when I went to "feel" it... it literally melted like butter in my hand.

You could replace just the boot. My recommendation is to replace the entire AOS with the OEM part.

How do I know this? There are minds far sharper than mine on this forum, and I listen.

Are you throwing any codes? Mine (1124/1126/0150) have been absent since the AOS replacement.

Perhaps one of those sharper minds can confirm my diagnosis.
Thanks for the quick response. No codes surprisingly. No major smoke except the occasional start-up puffs. As I read more about the AOS failure and other horror stories, my main question now becomes can/should I continue to drive it? This is my daily driver.
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmg0d View Post
Thanks for the quick response. No codes surprisingly. No major smoke except the occasional start-up puffs. As I read more about the AOS failure and other horror stories, my main question now becomes can/should I continue to drive it? This is my daily driver.
I would replace the boot only, since that design AOS is no longer used in production Porshe's there is very little quality control for replacement parts.

Buy A new boot or a new AOS & use that boot to replace the torn one. never replace a AOS until it shows sign's of failing.