View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmg0d View Post
Good Evening everyone. I've developed an issue and I believe this is the source of my engine revving up and down at idle, it is also where I believe my oil leak is originating. As you can see the boot of this piece is torn and when at idle you can see air misting the oil as the engine pops up in rpms. I'm going to replace it, but I really should find out what it is. My maintenance book is at home but buried under 2000 sqft of floor tiles and thinset/grout. That was poor planning on my part.

I believe it is the AOS, but hell it may be the MAF sensor/tubes. Hell it could really be anything. The pictures are rotated 90 degress to the right and I can't figure out how to fix it. Also, the part is on the right side of the engine above the axle. one side of the big box with a circle on top goes to the intake area.

If you have experience with this I'd appreciate any helpful hints too.
Thanks.
Thom

Here is a link to some video I shot of it. https://youtu.be/odypXHBulgE

Yes. That is your AOS. My boot looked exactly the same when I replaced it a couple weeks ago, and when I went to "feel" it... it literally melted like butter in my hand.

You could replace just the boot. My recommendation is to replace the entire AOS with the OEM part.

How do I know this? There are minds far sharper than mine on this forum, and I listen.

Are you throwing any codes? Mine (1124/1126/0150) have been absent since the AOS replacement.

Perhaps one of those sharper minds can confirm my diagnosis.