Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Custom exhaust

here is the link to my youtube video of the exhaust I put on my 2002 boxster 986 2.7l. I did secondly cat delete as well as muffler delete and added 4 resonators. Total cost was under 400 and I think it sounds great. Would like y'alls feed back.

https://youtu.be/0zBghuXxT1M
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothydunn88 View Post
here is the link to my youtube video of the exhaust I put on my 2002 boxster 986 2.7l. I did secondly cat delete as well as muffler delete and added 4 resonators. Total cost was under 400 and I think it sounds great. Would like y'alls feed back.

https://youtu.be/0zBghuXxT1M
I agree it does sound great.
What resonators did you use?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,147
Congratulations Timothy it does sounds great, and looks very nice too, it seems that you use stainless resonators, cool
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
I used two aero tr20 8" resonators off Ebay the pair was 65 dollers and two 12" universal resonators from Ebay aswell the pair was only 54 dollers
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothydunn88 View Post
I used two aero tr20 8" resonators off Ebay the pair was 65 dollers and two 12" universal resonators from Ebay aswell the pair was only 54 dollers
I donít own a Boxster at the moment, but Iím sure this info will come handy one day
Whould be nice if you can post links to the parts, and some pics of the setup once you have it in the air.
Any dron at midrange rpm?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
I donít own a Boxster at the moment, but Iím sure this info will come handy one day
Whould be nice if you can post links to the parts, and some pics of the setup once you have it in the air.
Any dron at midrange rpm?

Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
I donít own a Boxster at the moment, but Iím sure this info will come handy one day
Whould be nice if you can post links to the parts, and some pics of the setup once you have it in the air.
Any dron at midrange rpm?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F33 2778159886

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F19 2534359802
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 992
The question most want to know is how is the drone ( if any ) between 2400 - 3000 RPM ?
__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
The question most want to know is how is the drone ( if any ) between 2400 - 3000 RPM ?
I have a automatic. There is drone under 3k rpm only under load. so if I drive it like a grandma and Its in high gear yes there is a little drone but not much. I'll make a video if me driving around and post it hopefully this weekend
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,567
Garage
very nice man. and thanks for the info.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 81
Garage
Very cool!
What about weight? That must be quite a lot lighter than stock..
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
Nicely done. Great job on the tip alignment as well. Has a nice balanced sound. Would have to hear under load but just revving it sounds like a nice mix of some deep ness in the tone with just a bit of growl. Considering itís not engineered for sound iíd say you should certainly be happy with that result.

Have to wonder though how it would sound with only two resonators
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Thom
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 38
Garage
I'm a bit jealous of your ability to assemble and design this. Any chance you'd want to make up a set of directions or cheat sheet for us? I'd love to go the custom route but I'd need a bunch of help for that.
Thanks
Thom
Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmg0d View Post
I'm a bit jealous of your ability to assemble and design this. Any chance you'd want to make up a set of directions or cheat sheet for us? I'd love to go the custom route but I'd need a bunch of help for that.
Thanks
Thom
I didnt want to spend the 1500+ dollers on the fab speed exhaust. It started off as me just wanting to do a muffler delete, so I ordered the tips from carid. went to the exhaust shop and showed them the picture of the fabspeed design and they made it. then after a few weeks I decided to order the pair of 12" universal resonators from ebay for around 50 bucks and was impressed with the sound. about a week later I decided I didnt want the secondary cats so I had them removed but it wasn't as smooth as I liked, so I ordered the pair aero tr20 resonators from ebay to put in place of the cats. And now im extremely happy with the sounds and absolutely love it.

Last edited by Timothydunn88; 10-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft Bliss, texas
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
Nicely done. Great job on the tip alignment as well. Has a nice balanced sound. Would have to hear under load but just revving it sounds like a nice mix of some deep ness in the tone with just a bit of growl. Considering itís not engineered for sound iíd say you should certainly be happy with that result.

Have to wonder though how it would sound with only two resonators
At first I just had the two resonators with the cat delete. It was a little bit raspy and not so smooth.
Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10
Do you have stock exhaust manifolds or headers?
SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page