Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #1

The Sweet Smell of AntiFreeze

Thoughts and or Opinions Appreciated.

When I go out for a drive I can't help but think that my vehicle is emitting an anti freeze like smell after I have warmed it up.

My A/F levels seem fine and the smell is noticeable when the top is down and the A/C / heater is turned off.

I've noticed that the smell is also present when I lift the deck lid.

Anyone know where I should be looking? Or for that matter even if I should be looking?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfordt
Thoughts and or Opinions Appreciated.

When I go out for a drive I can't help but think that my vehicle is emitting an anti freeze like smell after I have warmed it up.

My A/F levels seem fine and the smell is noticeable when the top is down and the A/C / heater is turned off.

I've noticed that the smell is also present when I lift the deck lid.

Anyone know where I should be looking? Or for that matter even if I should be looking?

Thanks

Could be a leaking over flow reservoir. Lift your carpet and look underneath. This has been covered pretty extensively here. Do a few searches.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #3

I get this same phenomenon with my car as well. Especially on warmer days or when I've driven the car for longer distances. I had the reservoir replaced a while back and the hoses, level is fine, no leaks whatsoever. Check under the carpet and board underneath by the reservoir as bmussatti says, but I think this isn't too uncommon.....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #4

BigIslandBoxster,

Do you still get the smell or did your parts investment solve the issue?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #5

I had an actual leak earlier this year that was alleviated by replacing the hose and the clamp. The system was belched and repressurized as well. Even after that, I still will notice a little antifreeze smell from time to time, nothing REAL strong, but I can smell it a bit....No leaking tho, maintains proper engine temperature also. I also hardly ever use the AC either.... I don't know if that has anything to do with it tho. Do you have the updated cap for the reservoir bottle? Any condensation above the cap where the rear trunk lid sits over it?

All my fans are working properly as well, radiators and exhaust.....

oil change and filter
brakes bled and refilled

Last edited by bigislandboxster; 09-08-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #6

Hi,

The coolant reservoir doesn't really leak, the vinyl they're made of actually cracks due to heat cycling. The material used to make them has improved and the issue has largely gone away.

Another cooling system issue on the Boxster was Porsche's initial decision to use spring clamps on the hose connections rather than the more typical Worm Clamps (screw type). These spring clamps are problematic and Porsche has several TSBs recommending a switch to worm clamps anytime a portion of the cooling system is serviced or dismantled.

I suspect that if your coolant level is remaining static, you're probably smelling minute traces of glycol (coolant) which is seeping past some of these spring clamps. It doesn't take a whole lot of coolant to create a fairly prominent odor.

If you get the car on a lift, inspect all the clamps for signs of staining or mineral deposits where the hose joins the outlet. Replace that clamp, or bite the bullet and replace them all with SS Worm Clamps, more work than $$. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #7

Check you radiator cap on the reservoir. My car not only smelled like coolant but it puked up a gallon or two after a mountain pass climb. I thought I had blown a water pump (had it towed 119 miles), but after the dealer checked it out, pressure was fine, water pump OK, but the radiator cap was cross threaded and was not properly tightening. They replaced it and charged me $0 for the diagnosis and replaced with a new cap. If it turns like a gas cap and does not stop on full tight it is defective. Just a guess. Take a look. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #8

Thanks to all,

How do I tell if my Cap is the updated one?

I checked at the dealer and they stated that the current part number for the cap is 996 106 44701. but they could not tell me how to tell if I have the "updated" one.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster

I had an actual leak earlier this year that was alleviated by replacing the hose and the clamp. The system was belched and repressurized as well. Even after that, I still will notice a little antifreeze smell from time to time, nothing REAL strong, but I can smell it a bit....No leaking tho, maintains proper engine temperature also. I also hardly ever use the AC either.... I don't know if that has anything to do with it tho. Do you have the updated cap for the reservoir bottle? Any condensation above the cap where the rear trunk lid sits over it?

All my fans are working properly as well, radiators and exhaust.....
Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #9

I also had my coolant hose replaced recently, after which I had a "low coolant" light flashing for a few days. Added water at dealer's suggestion - light went to off, but the car puked antifreeze after a vigorous drive. Dealer subsequently found faulty radiator cap (in resevoir area) replaced it... and all is well. The cap had been over tightened and stripped - the bad threads allowed excess pressure to escape, which caused he coolant dump. The car was fine while running but coolant heated up on stopping due to fans and pumps shutting down and the expanding hot coolant overflowed the system. (There is an overflow drain under the righthand side of the car) I am not sure if this applies to your situation, but examine the level of tightness of the coolant system cap. If it is not really snug, it might be the cause of your problem.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #10

I checked at the dealer and they stated that the current part number for the cap is 996 106 44701. but they could not tell me how to tell if I have the "updated" one.

Check your reservoir cap , the blue one in the back trunk, the number is right on it...Make sure you check when the engine is cold, don't want to shoot hot anti freeze on yourself....If that number isn't on it, you have the old one.

oil change and filter
brakes bled and refilled
Old 09-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Check your reservoir cap , the blue one in the back trunk, the number is right on it...Make sure you check when the engine is cold, don't want to shoot hot anti freeze on yourself....If that number isn't on it, you have the old one.
Thanks, I checked and I have to 000 version so i bought the new one. hope this helps my small problem.