Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Bluetooth obd-11 issue

Hello, I bought a autometer dashlink 6032 bluetooth OBD-11/EOBD scanner for my 2002 boxster 986 2.7l. I can not get it to connect to my car just gives me error detecting message. But it works with my f250 king ranch. The company said it will work with my car. Could there be an issue with my car as to why this isnt connecting?

Timothydunn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #2

Might be an issue with your obd2 port. Do you guys have obd2 emissions testing in TX like we do in NC? As in, does your port get plugged in to every year like mine does and it works then? I think your first step should be to try to get another device to communicate if possible. They scan you for free at a lot of auto parts stores. Might want to swing by one and see if they can connect.
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #3

On by Boxster, I could never get my code reader to work unless the car was running. I'd simply get an error code. My experience was with a wired reader.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:14 AM   #4

I have a hand held obd2/eobd scanner and it work with my car. But it will only read engine codes.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

I just ordered the ELM 327 bluetooth obd2 reader, does anyone else have this? I hear it works good with the dashcommand app
Old 09-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothydunn88 View Post
I just ordered the ELM 327 bluetooth obd2 reader, does anyone else have this? I hear it works good with the dashcommand app
With an Android device, yes, it works great. It will not work with Apple.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

I think ELM327 is used more like a 'protocol' than an individual device, there's loads of them by different manufacturers claiming to be an ELM327. That said, I have had a couple of generic blue plastic ELM327 bluetooth devices from random eBay stores and they all have worked fine with Torque on various Android devices, so you should be ok.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Every manufacturer uses different protocols to speak to the OBD II "bridge". (Some manufacturers use multiple, across their product range). Your scan tool must be compatible with that protocol.
I have an entire shelf in my garage FULL of all of the various "scanners" / code readers that I've collected over the years, because the ones I have won't work with my new car, or will only read basic trouble codes, etc. Etc.

When I bought this 986, being my first porsche, I was hopeful that it would work with one or more of my other units purchased for my AUDI, or MERCEDES, or whatever. Nope. I could get basic trouble codes: nothing more.

So I bought the durametric. And I'm soo glad I did. It's so much more than a "code reader".

I hate to say it, but for the $150 you spent on your 6032, you were halfway there on the durametric. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your responses I much appreciated it.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #10

Update. I ordered the elm327 from ebay for 7 dollers and downloaded the torque pro ap and it works great with the 986 and has awesome features. My only question for the fuel economy part its asks for alot of information and the only thing I dont know and I cant find is the volumetric efficiency. What is that?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothydunn88 View Post
.....My only question for the fuel economy part its asks for alot of information and the only thing I dont know and I cant find is the volumetric efficiency. What is that?
I can tell you what volumetric efficiency is, but I cannot tell you what the measurement is for your car.
Volumetric efficiency is a measurement of the air-fuel mixture mass that is inducted into the cylinder, compared to the actual swept volume of the piston / cylinder. It is expressed as a ratio or percentage.
For instance; if at the bottom of the induction stroke, your air fuel mass in the cylinder is equal to the same air fuel mass that cylinder volume would occupy in the intake manifold, then you are 100%. Most internal combustion engines that are not special purpose-built race motors run around 85 to 90%. Meaning that the mass in the cylinder is only about 90% of what mass the same volume would contain in the intake.
Careful tuning, multiple valves, porting of heads & bowls, etc, can improve this, even up to around 130%. This is quite uncommon for a N/A car.
Forced induction motors can approach 300%.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote