Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #1

Rough weekend...

Over the weekend I moved Nicole (02 Boxster S) outside of my garage to give her a good bath and interior detailing. As I walked back in the garage I noticed a dark area on my garage floor and low and behold it turned out to be oil. My heart sunk as I knew this couldn't be good. It was about a quarter sized puddle and the oil was extremely dark (car has 5k miles since last oil change). I continued to wash Nicole and pulled her back in the garage. Sure enough there was an oil spot where I had just finished washing her. I jacked her up and as I feared there was an oil mess right where the transaxle/transmission housing bolts to the engine. UGH!!! To top this off I had noticed a slight oil leak in June and the dealer couldn't find anything. Oh yeah, my warranty expired on August 31st (yes, last week)...

The good news is I called a dealer (had enough of the one who had done work on the car before) and am able to drop it off tonight and use a courtesy vehicle (odd for such short notice). Dependent on the repair I could potentially have it in time for the weekend!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
bmussatti

Sammy, sorry to hear about your oil leak issue.

What dealers in the Chicago area do you think do good work? Which ones are you not impressed with? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Over the weekend I moved Nicole (02 Boxster S) outside of my garage to give her a good bath and interior detailing. As I walked back in the garage I noticed a dark area on my garage floor and low and behold it turned out to be oil. My heart sunk as I knew this couldn't be good. It was about a quarter sized puddle and the oil was extremely dark (car has 5k miles since last oil change). I continued to wash Nicole and pulled her back in the garage. Sure enough there was an oil spot where I had just finished washing her. I jacked her up and as I feared there was an oil mess right where the transaxle/transmission housing bolts to the engine. UGH!!! To top this off I had noticed a slight oil leak in June and the dealer couldn't find anything. Oh yeah, my warranty expired on August 31st (yes, last week)...

The good news is I called a dealer (had enough of the one who had done work on the car before) and am able to drop it off tonight and use a courtesy vehicle (odd for such short notice). Dependent on the repair I could potentially have it in time for the weekend!

Sure beats the heck out of swimming with stingrays! Oouch!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Sammy, sorry to hear about your oil leak issue.

What dealers in the Chicago area do you think do good work? Which ones are you not impressed with? Thanks.
Thumbs down to Westmont... Thumbs up to Rizza... Possibility of thumbs up to Loeber (in my research seemed to be the best priced in the area for maintenance)
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Sure beats the heck out of swimming with stingrays! Oouch!!
Huh??? Please elaborate as this could make my issue a little less painful.

This should be good... Last time I checked Chicago is near Lake Michigan and stingrays are few and far between...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Huh??? Please elaborate as this could make my issue a little less painful.

This should be good... Last time I checked Chicago is near Lake Michigan and stingrays are few and far between...
Steve Irwin, aka "The Crocodile Hunter", was killed over the weekend by a Stingray while filming.

bmussatti's comment was a reference to that, and was in extremely poor taste.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Steve Irwin, aka "The Crocodile Hunter", was killed over the weekend by a Stingray while filming.

bmussatti's comment was a reference to that, and was in extremely poor taste.
I'm sure bmussatti's comment was using his sense of humor and it apparently does not match your own. I can and will appreciate both sides on this one and hopefully we can let this topic go away. It was an unfortunate incident and I would never wish it upon my worst enemy.

Back to the topic... Anyone ever have a major repair immediately following the expiration of your warranty? Did Porsche step up? I'm keeping my fingers cross for some sort of help if it is a major repair but at the same time I am a firm believer that it is the risk of buying a used car. Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:

I have never been real keen on extended warranties, however my '03 S expires 9-10-06 and I decided to buy one from Warranty Direct yesterday. Too many things seem to happen to these little buggers after the initial warranty period. Maybe I am just paranoid.
If your oil leak turns out to be a RMS, I wouldn't worry too much about it until it starts leaking much worse. A quarter size leak is not a big deal.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
My warranty ended last September and 2days later my car came on with a CEL light...Dealer took care of it as a courtesy.

When speaking with my service advisor at Beverly Hills Porsche, he told me if anything catastrophic happens to the car within 6months that it would be taken care of just as if the car was under warranty.

My experience with Porsche Warranty has been pretty much perfect.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
bmussatti

Sammy, what has the dealer told you? What is your loaner car....a base Cayman?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #11

It looks like I am victim of a RMS leak and the quoted repair bill is $1160. I've asked them to go back to Porsche and review my oil leak claim from June (during the warranty period) to see if they will cover the repair.

My courtesy vehicle is a Cayenne... I'm getting quite accustom to Cayennes seeing that this is my 4th one as a courtesy vehicle...

Any advice on what to say/do if Porsche comes back and denies the warranty claim? My warranty expired last Thursday and I guess I'm hoping that the least they would do is cover part of the repair? Any thoughts? Or should I just bite the bullet and fork over the dough freely?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Porsche should pay for it, the district manager just has to sign off on it. Stress to your service advisor that you HAD PREVIOUSLY made the claim that the car was leaking oil. Also bring in the work orders which state this as well to back it up. Sometimes they try and deny it and won’t look into their own records. If anything Porsche should cover AT LEAST 50% of the bill if not all of it.

They like to play hard ball sometimes, don't give into it.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
bmussatti

Sammy, I bet Porsche will cover the repair bill. Is the dealer who has it now, the same dealer who did not repair it "properly" a few months back?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #14

I hope you guys are right... This is a different dealer than who looked at the oil leak in June.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
It looks like I am victim of a RMS leak and the quoted repair bill is $1160. I've asked them to go back to Porsche and review my oil leak claim from June (during the warranty period) to see if they will cover the repair.

My courtesy vehicle is a Cayenne... I'm getting quite accustom to Cayennes seeing that this is my 4th one as a courtesy vehicle...

Any advice on what to say/do if Porsche comes back and denies the warranty claim? My warranty expired last Thursday and I guess I'm hoping that the least they would do is cover part of the repair? Any thoughts? Or should I just bite the bullet and fork over the dough freely?
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure to vote in the RMS poll so we can have some accuracy.

Good advice from TG2K about the Warranty. Good Luck! But, also think about Clutch/Flywheel while you're in there. The Dealer should cut you some discount on this as the engine/tranny have to be pulled apart anyway and the flywheel removed, could ease the pain a little and end up saving you some $$$ down the road...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure to vote in the RMS poll so we can have some accuracy.

Good advice from TG2K about the Warranty. Good Luck! But, also think about Clutch/Flywheel while you're in there. The Dealer should cut you some discount on this as the engine/tranny have to be pulled apart anyway and the flywheel removed, could ease the pain a little and end up saving you some $$$ down the road...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Thanks for the heads up on the clutch and flywheel! Any advice on replacement in terms of improvement over OEM? Or is OEM the way to go?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the clutch and flywheel! Any advice on replacement in terms of improvement over OEM? Or is OEM the way to go?
I think on this forum, many times the light weight flywheel has NOT been the recommendation. Just an FYI.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #18

The voting in the RMS poll was closed so I wasn't able to add my vote to it...

I'm still waiting for Porsche to respond whether they will pick up the repair bill or not so my car continues to sit idly in the parking lot of the dealer... I really hope to hear from them this morning.

I'll have them look at the clutch and flywheel when they pull the powertrain apart. If they say the components look like new than I'll leave them alone but if there is the slightest bit of abuse or bad wear I will replace them.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #19

Porsche still hasn't responded to the dealer about helping with the repair bill. The Porsche guy who makes the decision got back from vacation on Monday and evidently is too busy to address this issue.

I'm going to the dealer to pick up my car until Porsche can respond one way or another. They have been gracious enough to charge me $130 for the time it took them to determine that it was a RMS leak (they only charged me 1/2 of the 2 hours they said it took).
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #20

Still no word from Porsche... This seems a tad ridiculous that I have had to wait over three weeks and still Porsche has not responded to the dealer in regards to my RMS leak. Unfortunately I don't think there is much I can do except sit back and wait.