Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Unfortunately I don't think there is much I can do except sit back and wait.
Or you can call once a day until they take your business seriuosly.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #22

I finally heard back (well... I actually called the dealer and they told me what Porsche's response was) today and Porsche is declining any help with paying for the RMS repair. Personally I think it's BS that an unrepaired oil leak from June is not covered 1 day after the warranty expired, but I guess this is the risk I take with buying a used vehicle...

Oh yeah, the dealer told me that Porsche's response was that "good will" (this is what they called it because I'm not the original owner of the car) is a thing of the past.

I have contacted Porsche NA and am going to at least get a direct response from them. If nothing else I will gladly let them know what I think of the situation.

I guess I have to sit and wait "no more than 5 business days" to see what Porsche says...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #23

Well, after almost 2 entire months of trying to get the RMS repaired covered I am finally taking it into the dealer to have it repaired. Porsche and the selling dealer have offered to pay for 2/3rds of the total cost.

This has been quite a saga:

1) complained of an oil leak in June - no repair made (note that this was during the warranty period)
2) 1 day after warranty expired noticed oil leak again
3) took car to dealer on September 5th and confirmed RMS leak - received loaner
4) no word from Porsche - take loaner back to dealer on September 15th (paid $130 for labor up to this point)
5) finally hear back from Porsche on October 9th denying payment for the repair
6) contact Porsche "Customer Commitment" on October 9th - informed that someone will contact me no later than 5 business days
7) no word from Porsche
8) contact Porsche "Customer Commitment" on October 17th - informed that someone will contact me no later than 5 business days
9) no word from Porsche
10) contact Porsche "Customer Commitment" on October 24th - informed that someone will contact me no later than 5 business days
11) Porsche finally contacts me on October 25th and says they will pay for 1/2 the bill - I disagree and ask for more
12) Porsche contacts me on October 27th and says they will pay for 2/3 of the bill
13) car is finally going in tonight (October 30th)

Might I add that no one would give me the phone number of the regional service manager from Porsche that denied/approved my warranty claim. Might I also add that the "Customer Commitment" consists of a few people shooting emails off to these regional service managers. They informed me that they have no phone numbers that they can call/give out.

This whole thing has been a crock of dog dooky!!!

I am happy that they have finally decided to help out with the bill, just very disappointed that I had to deal with this for 2 months!

BTW - I was going to have the oil changed by the dealer but they were going to charge me over $200!!! Not worth $200 to me so I'll be doing it myself.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
bmussatti

Sammy, glad to hear that you are making progress. Sorry to hear about your problems and poor treatment from Porsche. It should not be this way

Good job negotiating a higher participation level from Porsche. Excellent persistence on your part. Unfortunately, that's how you get results. A "lesser" owner would have given up. And I would suspect that Porsche know this and uses it to their advantage.

FYI- Barrington Motor Werks charges $110 for an oil change and about $67 if you supply your own oil.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #25

have you posted this on Rennlist yet?
I would post it in the 986/987 and 996 forums and say that you are only doing so because you want to hear from people who have had experience begging mercy from Porsche on the all too famous RMS saga.

If you say you are going to call me on Friday, call me on Friday.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #26

Sammy, sorry you went through such a horrible experience and glad you finally managed to get a somewhat satisfactory resolution. You showed amazing patience and frankly I'm surprised it worked so well. I just wouldn't have been able to do it. Had it been me, I'd have probably started threatening with an all out media/internet campaign about my situation and escalated the issue at a much faster pace -- which would have probably ended with me leaving messages to the CEO in Stuttgard within a couple of weeks.

"Let me talk to your manager" is golden.

Hope the repair goes well.

Z.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #27

The "let me talk to your manager" avenue was tried with Porsche but since all they can do at the "Customer Commitment" center is email people, it doesn't have the same effect. I eventually went for the "this is complete bulls%#t" avenue and it got me results a little faster.

I'm very disappointed with the owning experience (customer service, warranty repairs, quality of repairs, cost difference of maintenance items between dealers, etc) in the 8 months I've owned my car... I wish they would've sold me the jar of Vaseline when I bought the car... Of course I would've needed to call the 6 other dealers in the area to find out who had the best price; otherwise, I probably would've paid $200 for a $5 jar...

On a more positive note, it sure is a lot of fun to drive when it isn't in the shop!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
have you posted this on Rennlist yet?
I would post it in the 986/987 and 996 forums and say that you are only doing so because you want to hear from people who have had experience begging mercy from Porsche on the all too famous RMS saga.

If you say you are going to call me on Friday, call me on Friday.
No, I haven't posted this on Rennlist. I typically spend my time at this forum and anyone who searches for an RMS problem or Porsche customer service will probably end up at this site anyway.

Now you're just talking crazy!!! What?!? You expect them to do what they say they're going to do???
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #29

Sammy,

Glad to hear you finally got this issue resolved, but I don't understand why they will only pick up 2/3 of the bill ?

Rizza quoted my $951 for a RMS repair at the end of May of this year.

So, are they charging you $317 for your 1/3 ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Sammy,

Glad to hear you finally got this issue resolved, but I don't understand why they will only pick up 2/3 of the bill ?

Rizza quoted my $951 for a RMS repair at the end of May of this year.

So, are they charging you $317 for your 1/3 ?

Nick
The reason they won't pick up the full bill is because I made my claim after the warranty expired. They believe that when the oil leak was looked at in June that their dealer confirmed that nothing was leaking. I didn't notice/see the oil leak for another couple months so I would imagine that they think it is a new/different leak which I reported after the warranty expired. It just stinks that I didn't notice it until immediately following the expiration of the warranty.

Of course not, the cost quoted to me is $1160... I'm responsible for 1/3 of $1160 which ends up being $387.

If you have a formal quote than I would love to get my hands on it!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #31

Sammy,

PM me your fax # ( or I can scan and email if you would prefer ) and I'll send you what I got...

Good luck !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 10-30-2006, 04:31 PM   #32

Scanned and sent...

Thought ya'll would find this interesting :

Looks like 8.4 hrs at $110 an hr + $27 in parts.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Scanned and sent...

Thought ya'll would find this interesting :

Looks like 8.4 hrs at $110 an hr + $27 in parts.

Nick
Thanks a lot NickCats! I forwarded the quote to the dealer to see what their response will be. I wonder if it has something to do with the age/engine difference in our vehicles? Not sure how or why, but it seems very weird that there would be a $200 price difference in less than 6 months from the same dealer?

I'll be sure to keep you updated as I know you and I aren't the only ones in the Chicago area trying to keep the dealers honest...