Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

Garage
996 gauge cluster upgrade

1. I've read many (maybe all?) of the posts on the 996 gauge swap. I have a 2000 S and have purchased a 996 gauge cluster (early style). Distilling everything that I've read it seems that in order to use the 996 gauges one would likely need to have the board modified to reflect the correct mileage and vin # and maybe re-calibrate the fuel tank sending unit and speedometer.
OR you could use the board from the 986 which already has all the correct settings for vin, mileage, cabrio and only needs to have the code modified to enable the oil pressure and voltage gauges. Am I missing something? If I'm correct it would seem that the simplest approach would be to use the 986 board with modification.
2. The gauge cluster I purchased has black faces. I've found on Ebay white replacement faces for the newer 996 clusters but not the older style. Any ideas as to sourcing reasonably priced white faces for the early 996 clusters?
3. With a background more in the social sciences I don't have experience in eeprom programming. It looks relatively simple for someone who knows what they're doing and has the equipment. Is there anyone out there that can flash the 986 chip?

Last edited by dlud; 04-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

From a quick scan around some forums: A PST2 can reprogram if you have the original 986 cluster. The 996 cluster should be from a same year 996. You need to run some wires and swap out a sending unit.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
2000 Boxster S

Garage
check this out...if its an earlier 986 you just need an odometer adjustment...no board changes or even programming necessary:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm

odo adjust at Palo Alto Speedometer

Palo Alto Speedometer: Repair, Restoration, and Sales of Automobile Gauges

Booker42 is offline   Reply With Quote