Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
IPD Plenums

Been reading a lot about plenum and throttle body mod. Seems Lot if debate, has anyone here done that mod and true thoughts did it give you a performance boost?

Donít want a debate on cost vs benefit a true unbiased thought about the mod.

Thanks

Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,569
This is exactly the process that I am currently undertaking. You might like to check out my YouTube channel where I am documenting the process. Part 3 will show the final install and the final dyno run.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
__________________
James
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
Yes was watching your other videos. More interested in final results as I donít have a garage to do the installation.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
You don't need a garage to fit a plenum and throttle body. Some basic skills and a drive way space is more than enough. Done 2 cars like this using the 996 plenum.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
I did it a long time ago. You will get an increase in power but the best gain is when you kick into high cam, instead of having a power dip it actually kicks up nice an high
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
I went with a 996 plenum and 74mm TB. Nice gains in the upper ranges. I've got full exhaust, tune, and very open intake and I dynoed. At 244 hp.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cambria, CA
Posts: 117
Garage
Nice J.Fro. What did you do for a tune? Did you use the 987 airbox or some other non-oem air intake solution?
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
You don't need a garage to fit a plenum and throttle body. Some basic skills and a drive way space is more than enough. Done 2 cars like this using the 996 plenum.
Looks easy enough, but i live in europe no driveway either have an underground parking spot. Lol

Makes it a little complicated, to do much mechanical work.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Looks easy enough, but i live in europe no driveway either have an underground parking spot. Lol

Makes it a little complicated, to do much mechanical work.
I'm in the UK. At least in Spain you have drier and warmer weather.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I'm in the UK. At least in Spain you have drier and warmer weather.
True lol. I lived in the UK for 3 years in the 90ís, mis the beer.

I might give it a go, is it worth doing if i have not changed exhaust? Motor still stock, the guy i bought it from was a no mod at all and not a driver, put 3k on the car in 3 years.

Love the car but needs a bit more umph. So thinking fvd muffler, ipd plenum throttle body upgrade, and a lighter flywheel when its time to change the clutch give it a bit more boogie.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 760
Garage
Having been assigned in Spain, England, and Germany; Best beer is in Germany

Gain in hp will come from upgrade to IDP and TB, and exhaust will limit some gains until it is upgraded
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
True lol. I lived in the UK for 3 years in the 90ís, mis the beer.

I might give it a go, is it worth doing if i have not changed exhaust? Motor still stock, the guy i bought it from was a no mod at all and not a driver, put 3k on the car in 3 years.

Love the car but needs a bit more umph. So thinking fvd muffler, ipd plenum throttle body upgrade, and a lighter flywheel when its time to change the clutch give it a bit more boogie.
http://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/

http://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/53075-blue-boxster-s-with-18-sport-classics/

Here's a couple of build style posts for my 2 Boxsters. If value and cash is on your agenda I would probably skip the FVD and if your exhaust is ok get it modded by Carnewal. Return postage in Europe is cheap enough. Skip the IPD as well and use the £35 996 plenum. For a bit more go change out the manifolds and consider going to 100 or 200 cell cats. My first blue Boxster has Dyno plots at each stage of mods.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
As for beer. Germany probably was better a few years back. But these days there is a lot more popularity for craft ales in the UK and they are quite easily accessible.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
Registered User
 
eicheldp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 295
Garage
I just did this mod with a 74 mm TB from an 09 Cayman S and a 3D printed plenum from a fellow on this forum, Ben006. The car doesnít feel chocked anymore and runs with more power throughout the entire rpm range. I kept the original 986 air box and original air feed tube.

Ben is still making the tubes and is currently located in France.
__________________
2004 Boxster S
eicheldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
I just did this mod with a 74 mm TB from an 09 Cayman S and a 3D printed plenum from a fellow on this forum, Ben006. The car doesnít feel chocked anymore and runs with more power throughout the entire rpm range. I kept the original 986 air box and original air feed tube.

Ben is still making the tubes and is currently located in France.
Thank You for the feedback exactly the type I was digging for, a does or does not. Lol

Did you have to change the enging mapping at all? Or basically plug and play.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
I kept the 986 MAF holder and plumbed the whole thing with 3" plastic tubing. I purchased the Softronic tune, but that was more for the 100 cell cats and ignition advance than anything else.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Thank You for the feedback exactly the type I was digging for, a does or does not. Lol

Did you have to change the enging mapping at all? Or basically plug and play.
No you don't have to. Mine and many others have run fine without a remap. I did do a remap and gained more power but I didn't do it out of necessity.

Tuned/modified 2000 Boxster S
__________________
Current: 550 Spyder Anniversary- Carnewal exhaust - 100 cell cats - stainless manifolds - 4" underdrive pulley - poly gearbox mounts - rear lower alu brace - adjustable rear toe links
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Location Location
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I went with a 996 plenum and 74mm TB. Nice gains in the upper ranges. I've got full exhaust, tune, and very open intake and I dynoed. At 244 hp.
Do you happen to have the part numbers for those two? (996 plenum & TB)
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
No you don't have to. Mine and many others have run fine without a remap. I did do a remap and gained more power but I didn't do it out of necessity.

Tuned/modified 2000 Boxster S
Nice list of mods, did you put the under drive pulleys on and if so any benefit?

I have a friend who is a 911 turbo freak had 8 of em now, he said on my car needed a lighter flywheel and lower springs when he drove it. Said the fly make big difference in performance because the engine will rev quicker.

Now I saw Pelican has FABspeed exhaust with 10% discount, was almost totally convinced for a FVD, but now reconsidering the discount covers the shipping cost to the APO and it was initially my first pick for exhaust.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #20
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 612
Garage
I've done 4.25 and 4" on both my Boxsters respectively but didn't Dyno either time. It's a nice mod to do if you are due a belt change.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page