Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Shucks, you're a youngster! I'm 66, retired, and I'm in the final stages of installing an engine in my 01 Box-base. Got arthritis in my shoulders and neck, even. On an average day working on it, I'd bet I crawl under there at least a dozen or 15 times. (Or more.)

I don't think I'd ever pay to have a motor mount replaced--but I have an air activated jack & and a cordless impact driver. Those box end wrenches with the ratcheting action help a lot, too.

I had a m/m insert pressed into my old aluminum mount--the insert wasn't expensive, and the shop is the most trusted one in town. Still, I took him a picture of the orientation so he could get it right. I think I have about $55 into the whole thing.
DEFINITALY get some ratcheting box end wrenches! Extra long. I used the ones with the angling head, even better. Still takes some creative maneuvering but gets it done. Forget torque, basically impossible to get a torque wrench in there...

Nice work getting after that car. You sound like my dad, mid 70's and still wrenching away!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
DEFINITALY get some ratcheting box end wrenches! Extra long. I used the ones with the angling head, even better. Still takes some creative maneuvering but gets it done. Forget torque, basically impossible to get a torque wrench in there...

Nice work getting after that car. You sound like my dad, mid 70's and still wrenching away!
Retirement can be fatal! Having a Porsche project car keeps the mind and body active and engaged.Impact tools really save time and effort. I have an air impact that will remove the axle nuts and a Hitachi cordless electric impact that's mighty handy to remove and install the engine mount body bolts. I have an ample supply of Hitachi 18v flashlights too. Way safer than 120v work lights.

I wouldn't even try to work on my Boxster without a set of ramps, 4 jackstands, and my air operated 12 bottle jack. You've gotta get the car quite high to comfortably work under their

Probably everyone with an older Boxster should check/have checked their motor mount. Mine only had 75,000 miles on it and it was shredded! A good time to do the water pump and the serpentine belt, too.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-20-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #23
Who's askin'?

Quote:

Probably everyone with an older Boxster should check/have checked their motor mount. Mine only had 75,000 miles on it and it was shredded! A good time to do the water pump and the serpentine belt, too.
My car (which arrived yesterday, and I've only driven about 15 miles so far) has what I suspect is likely a failed motor mount... check my symptoms with me, please?

130k+ miles, and an occasional "clunk" and a jerking motion when "unloading" the transaxle suddenly. (Like, 1st gear, accelerating quickly, someone pulls out in front so clutch in and braking just as quickly).

Does that sound like my motor mount to y'all?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #24
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Retirement can be fatal! Having a Porsche project car keeps the mind and body active and engaged.Impact tools really save time and effort. I have an air impact that will remove the axle nuts and a Hitachi cordless electric impact that's mighty handy to remove and install the engine mount body bolts. I have an ample supply of Hitachi 18v flashlights too. Way safer than 120v work lights.

I wouldn't even try to work on my Boxster without a set of ramps, 4 jackstands, and my air operated 12 bottle jack. You've gotta get the car quite high to comfortably work under their

What jackstands are you using? What is the height with which you find it is most efficient working under the car? What are your backups while you're under there?

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #25

Garage
Does the shift lever move when you get the jerks? That would confirm that is is the front motor mount. If not, it could be a transmission mount.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 AM   #26
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
My car (which arrived yesterday, and I've only driven about 15 miles so far) has what I suspect is likely a failed motor mount... check my symptoms with me, please?

130k+ miles, and an occasional "clunk" and a jerking motion when "unloading" the transaxle suddenly. (Like, 1st gear, accelerating quickly, someone pulls out in front so clutch in and braking just as quickly).

A wonky engine mount willl typically cause very noticeable vibration in the cabin at ~3000 rpm.
+1 on checking transmission mounts for your clunking, but that doesn’t mean your engine mount isn’t toast too. While you’re down there....
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #27
Who's askin'?

Hmm.... thanks guys. Sounds Luke I better check them both!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #28
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

I bet that is your engine mount. Mine was split all round the rubber bush. Clonks from rear when using the clutch. On the other hand I also replaced the gearbox mounts some time later with some returned poly versions. The engine mount fixed all the original issues.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote