Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #1

Best way to get an ROW re-flash?

Seems like something that would be an easy internet search but I’m at a loss. What’s the route most people take here?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #2

I hit up a friend who works at a dealer.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I bought a PST-2.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #4

I just bought a pst2 from a guy for $1125 shipped and he has two more. He mostly sells them on eBay but if you PM me I can give you his email

Last edited by itsnotanova; 02-17-2018 at 03:16 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #5

ECU Doctors in Florida

At this very moment, my ECU and Immobilizer are having a nice winter's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, staying at the home of the ECU Doctors, getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.

I can report back here upon their return back to me in a couple of weeks, if any interest.

Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #6

i bought a pst-2 as well. mine is on an old-a$$ed toshiba laptop, however, so if anyone wants to give me pointers on how to transfer it to a more modern machine i would appreciate it!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
... getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.
I took a look at their website but didn't see any info on tune or performance tweaks. What performance tweaks are you having done?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I took a look at their website but didn't see any info on tune or performance tweaks. What performance tweaks are you having done?
I will be speaking with them the first of the week so to compare notes, and so I can report back then.

Thanks - DM
Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks for offering to let us know about the ROW re-flash by ECU Doctors. We often recommend them and they occasionally chime in on relevant Threads. So some customer feedback would be helpful for all.Thanks for helping the rest of us. Mybe hint at the ballpark cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
At this very moment, my ECU and Immobilizer are having a nice winter's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, staying at the home of the ECU Doctors, getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.

I can report back here upon their return back to me in a couple of weeks, if any interest.

Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

Thanks - DM
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Thanks for offering to let us know about the ROW re-flash by ECU Doctors. We often recommend them and they occasionally chime in on relevant Threads. So some customer feedback would be helpful for all.Thanks for helping the rest of us. Mybe hint at the ballpark cost?
Certainly, no worries.

In the meantime: ECU Performance Tuning for Porsche Boxster ECU DME - Specialized ECU Repair
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i bought a pst-2 as well. mine is on an old-a$$ed toshiba laptop, however, so if anyone wants to give me pointers on how to transfer it to a more modern machine i would appreciate it!
Have you tried cloning the hard drive onto something newer and installing it into a newer machine?
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986bsdriver View Post
Have you tried cloning the hard drive onto something newer and installing it into a newer machine?
sort of what i was thinking. really, the whole system consists of.a proprietary cable, a bosch pcmcia card, and the software. got no idea where to find the software, so it would be a matter of cloning the HD in some way. the thing is, i *think* these things have some kind of time bomb in them that shuts them down after a certain date. i would hate to clone my HD onto a newer machine, only to have it lock-out the pcmcia card. i don't know if that is a thing, however.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #13

Cloning the hard drive shouldn’t be an issue as I think pst2 would service cars made well after 2000. You might have to talk to a computer expert on that. He can also set the time and date to whatever you want as well.

As far as the pcmcia card goes there’s some adapter you can pick up on amazon and plug into USB instead. Not sure how picky they are when it goes from one plug to another. Maybe ask the computer guy and see? I can’t see it turning into a paperweight from that, perhaps just not functioning like it should.

986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote