986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Best way to get an ROW re-flash? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/71018-best-way-get-row-re-flash.html)

truegearhead 02-14-2018 03:17 AM

Best way to get an ROW re-flash?

Seems like something that would be an easy internet search but I’m at a loss. What’s the route most people take here?

:cheers:

itsnotanova 02-14-2018 03:33 AM

I hit up a friend who works at a dealer.

Paul 02-14-2018 05:31 PM

I bought a PST-2.

itsnotanova 02-15-2018 11:35 PM

I just bought a pst2 from a guy for $1125 shipped and he has two more. He mostly sells them on eBay but if you PM me I can give you his email

Dave80GTSi 02-16-2018 05:34 AM

ECU Doctors in Florida

At this very moment, my ECU and Immobilizer are having a nice winter's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, staying at the home of the ECU Doctors, getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.

I can report back here upon their return back to me in a couple of weeks, if any interest.

Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

Thanks - DM

The Radium King 02-16-2018 06:01 AM

i bought a pst-2 as well. mine is on an old-a$$ed toshiba laptop, however, so if anyone wants to give me pointers on how to transfer it to a more modern machine i would appreciate it!

thstone 02-16-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi (Post 562840)
... getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.

I took a look at their website but didn't see any info on tune or performance tweaks. What performance tweaks are you having done?

Dave80GTSi 02-16-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 562906)
I took a look at their website but didn't see any info on tune or performance tweaks. What performance tweaks are you having done?

I will be speaking with them the first of the week so to compare notes, and so I can report back then.

Thanks - DM

Gelbster 02-16-2018 07:30 PM

Thanks for offering to let us know about the ROW re-flash by ECU Doctors. We often recommend them and they occasionally chime in on relevant Threads. So some customer feedback would be helpful for all.Thanks for helping the rest of us. Mybe hint at the ballpark cost?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi (Post 562840)
At this very moment, my ECU and Immobilizer are having a nice winter's vacation in Fort Lauderdale, staying at the home of the ECU Doctors, getting a ROW tune and a performance electrical tweak or two.

I can report back here upon their return back to me in a couple of weeks, if any interest.

Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi 02-17-2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 562919)
Thanks for offering to let us know about the ROW re-flash by ECU Doctors. We often recommend them and they occasionally chime in on relevant Threads. So some customer feedback would be helpful for all.Thanks for helping the rest of us. Mybe hint at the ballpark cost?

Certainly, no worries.

In the meantime: ECU Performance Tuning for Porsche Boxster ECU DME - Specialized ECU Repair

986bsdriver 02-18-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 562844)
i bought a pst-2 as well. mine is on an old-a$$ed toshiba laptop, however, so if anyone wants to give me pointers on how to transfer it to a more modern machine i would appreciate it!

Have you tried cloning the hard drive onto something newer and installing it into a newer machine?

The Radium King 02-18-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986bsdriver (Post 563078)
Have you tried cloning the hard drive onto something newer and installing it into a newer machine?

sort of what i was thinking. really, the whole system consists of.a proprietary cable, a bosch pcmcia card, and the software. got no idea where to find the software, so it would be a matter of cloning the HD in some way. the thing is, i *think* these things have some kind of time bomb in them that shuts them down after a certain date. i would hate to clone my HD onto a newer machine, only to have it lock-out the pcmcia card. i don't know if that is a thing, however.

986bsdriver 02-19-2018 07:41 AM

Cloning the hard drive shouldn’t be an issue as I think pst2 would service cars made well after 2000. You might have to talk to a computer expert on that. He can also set the time and date to whatever you want as well.

As far as the pcmcia card goes there’s some adapter you can pick up on amazon and plug into USB instead. Not sure how picky they are when it goes from one plug to another. Maybe ask the computer guy and see? I can’t see it turning into a paperweight from that, perhaps just not functioning like it should.