Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

The shift is blocked. Help!

Hello, the shift of my 986s is blocked. I disconnected the 2 gear levers of the gearbox and the shifter moves perfectly, so problem is inside gerbox.

The lever of the gearbox is blocked is the one of red arrow in the photo attached in the link bellow. It moves the shifter from left to right and in the gearbox is the front small lever.

What do you think is the problem? I asumme thay need to open the gearbox 🙁

https://ibb.co/iut0aR

heiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Garage
Is the large lever in the middle position? It has to be to allow the little one to move! I suspect you just don't have the shift cables properly adjusted.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Is the large lever in the middle position? It has to be to allow the little one to move! I suspect you just don't have the shift cables properly adjusted.
the shift cables are OK. The problem is the small lever in the gearbox that don´t move, please see the link I attached with a photo marking the lever is blocked.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

I realize there is a bit of a communication gap here, but let's get some things lined up. The shift selector (up front) moves normally? Correct? You detached the shift cables at the shifter or the "gearbox"/transaxle? Is the picture your transaxle or is yours in the car?

If you disconnected the cables at the shifter and didn't mark the position they were in, you are going to need to have them properly adjusted at a shop, unless you have the shifter centering clip, which is unlikely. If you disconnected the cable at the transmission end, it is probable, as above, the large lever is out of place and not allowing the lower arm to move. There is a detent inside that will block the lower lever if the large lever is not aligned properly.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #5

Garage
Here's what I suggest you do: Detach the shift cables at the transmission. Move the large lever until you feel that is is clicked into the middle position, then try to move the small lever. If the small lever moves you have a cable adjustment problem and you'll have to either get the cables adjusted at a shop or get the proper tool to lock the shifter as Geof3 suggested and try to do it yourself.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #6

If only we had a picture to solve the language gap ... oh wait we do (his link). He's talking about transmission (gear box) being the issue:

And yes, not much I can think of in terms of fix without cracking open the case...

Goo luck
Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
If only we had a picture to solve the language gap ... oh wait we do (his link). He's talking about transmission (gear box) being the issue:

And yes, not much I can think of in terms of fix without cracking open the case...

Goo luck
I'm thinking, based on the description, this is a reference photo and his transaxle is in the car. Seems the cables at one end or both were disconnected for some reason and there is a misunderstanding of what Anker is explaining.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
I realize there is a bit of a communication gap here, but let's get some things lined up. The shift selector (up front) moves normally? Correct? You detached the shift cables at the shifter or the "gearbox"/transaxle? Is the picture your transaxle or is yours in the car?

If you disconnected the cables at the shifter and didn't mark the position they were in, you are going to need to have them properly adjusted at a shop, unless you have the shifter centering clip, which is unlikely. If you disconnected the cable at the transmission end, it is probable, as above, the large lever is out of place and not allowing the lower arm to move. There is a detent inside that will block the lower lever if the large lever is not aligned properly.

- Yes, the big shift selector (gearbox) that moves shifter front to back (copkit) moves correctly.
- Yes, I detached both shift cables from gearbox
- My gearbox is mounted in the car, this picture is the same as my gearbox.

I have disassembled several times the transaxle to change clutch, IMS,.. and never have any problem when disconnected the cables, no need to adjust.
When the shift get blocked was when I was driving the car and try to shift gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Here's what I suggest you do: Detach the shift cables at the transmission. Move the large lever until you feel that is is clicked into the middle position, then try to move the small lever. If the small lever moves you have a cable adjustment problem and you'll have to either get the cables adjusted at a shop or get the proper tool to lock the shifter as Geof3 suggested and try to do it yourself.
I moved the large lever and it moves correctly, I feel the clicks. But..., the small lever doesn´t moves, and don't feel any click, so the problem is inside the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post

Goo luck
Yes, I think tha need to open the gearbox. Sorry for my english language, I try to write I best I can

Now I have the car elevate to start to take out the gearbox and open it.

Last edited by heiwaz; 12-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #9

Garage
I think you are right. Good luck with the project.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwaz View Post
- Yes, the big shift selector (gearbox) that moves shifter front to back (copkit) moves correctly.
- Yes, I detached both shift cables from gearbox
- My gearbox is mounted in the car, this picture is the same as my gearbox.

I have disassembled several times the transaxle to change clutch, IMS,.. and never have any problem when disconnected the cables, no need to adjust.
When the shift get blocked was when I was driving the car and try to shift gear.

I moved the large lever and it moves correctly, I feel the clicks. But..., the small lever doesn´t moves, and don't feel any click, so the problem is inside the gearbox.

Yes, I think tha need to open the gearbox. Sorry for my english language, I try to write I best I can

Now I have the car elevate to start to take out the gearbox and open it.

One or more of your shift pins may have fallen out -- this happened on my 2000 S that I track a lot.

These are not the large pins that go through the case -- these are very small pins that are part of the shift rods? (I maybe misnaming the pieces)

I had the tranny case opened up and all 6 pins replaced -- works fine now.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #11

Yeah, sounds like it's time to pull the transaxle... good thing is you can get a solid refresh for not too much $$ or just get a rebuilt if yours is shot.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
One or more of your shift pins may have fallen out -- this happened on my 2000 S that I track a lot.

These are not the large pins that go through the case -- these are very small pins that are part of the shift rods? (I maybe misnaming the pieces)

I had the tranny case opened up and all 6 pins replaced -- works fine now.

Mike
http://www.********************************************.c om/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=986-97-04&section=304-05

See #6
Old 12-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #13

I think your link is from ****atlanta, I found these pins number 6 with OEM reference 99630330100 (spiral clamping pin).

I found on the net a photo of a 996 transaxle opened (is the same of the 986s but shift is in the other side), and you can see marked the part is blocked on my car.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwaz View Post
I think your link is from ****atlanta, I found these pins number 6 with OEM reference 99630330100 (spiral clamping pin).

I found on the net a photo of a 996 transaxle opened (is the same of the 986s but shift is in the other side), and you can see marked the part is blocked on my car.

Yes that is correct --

The small pins along the shift rods and what looks like C clamps is what fell out of my tranny. We replaced all 6 -- maybe $12 in parts.

works like a champ now.

Note I was able to manipulate my shift actuators fairly freely. so yours may or may not be different

mike