Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Cool Wheel Adapters/Oversize Rim Fitment

Hi All,

New to the 986 club; found one way under market value (at least here in Canada) with just over 40k miles in stellar shape. Figured I'd snatch it up while I'm on the hunt for a 911 and then potentially pass it along to the wife!

I'd like to upgrade the wheels but don't want to spend a fortune as there are other "to-dos" on my list with regards to cosmetics.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm content on going second-hand to save some $$$ but have found sourcing 5x130s in my area next to impossible. What is everyone's thought on adapters so I can use wheels options that may be more prevalent? I use the car on the road, not a track car so not worried about rules and regulations there....

Also, not wanting to go huge, but don't mind going up in size (diameter 1 or 2"s) and would love things to sit a little closer to "flush" with the fender wells. I've heard through some forums about potential "engineering" issues re. suspension failure with up-sizing wheels on the 986.

I'd love some feedback, both from a technical side as well as "real-life" experiences if anyone out there has gone the same or similar route I'm entertaining.

Sorry if this thread exists somewhere - I've tried to search it - without going through all pages but haven't come across it yet....thanks in advance for the help, or for redirecting me!

duprat_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Congrats on the Boxster purchase! the 5X130 pattern is pretty unique to Porsche, thus the dearth of wheel choices. Be careful as our back spacing (ET) is also tricky. Combining spacers, adapters, and wheels not meant for your particular car can end up being a complex math problem that leads to expensive & useless results if you get things wrong.
If you find a set of wheels and adapters that you think will work, be sure to plug the numbers into an offset calculator before laying down your hard earned cash.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Congrats on the Boxster purchase! the 5X130 pattern is pretty unique to Porsche, thus the dearth of wheel choices. Be careful as our back spacing (ET) is also tricky. Combining spacers, adapters, and wheels not meant for your particular car can end up being a complex math problem that leads to expensive & useless results if you get things wrong.
If you find a set of wheels and adapters that you think will work, be sure to plug the numbers into an offset calculator before laying down your hard earned cash.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Thanks for the welcome and advice j.fro:

I get the complexity of the issue, I really do and I guess that's why I'm reaching out. Maybe I was wrong with this post, the goal isn't necessarily to add spacers and adapters.

I was kinda hoping for the "perfect storm" ie. the right set of wheels, and the added thickness of the adapters creating the wider and preferred stance. But maybe that's rarer than actually finding a set of rims with the correct bolt pattern! lol

So lets just forget about the adapters for a minute...assuming I get something with the correct bolt pattern, the research I've done indicates that 18" wheels were an option on my car a '98. I'm currently running factory 17s. Is it likely to cause any issue for me to go with 18s that are a little wider or have an increased offset so that I can get the more appealing stance I'm on the hunt for? I see a lot of great looking options that are 19" but I'm not convinced I want to go that route, I do like a little meat on the tires to help with the ride....

End goal - better looking stance (without lowering) with slightly different/larger wheels - without compromising the "go-kart" handling that we all love about the Boxster. Is it possible? I get the argument "you're not an engineer, why second guess or change what the guys in Germany spec'ed this car with" but I'm hoping someone out there has done something similar and has the experience to say - it's gonna be okay!

Thanks again!
duprat_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #4

Cayman wheels?

Have you consider using OEM 18" Cayman wheels?

These would fit perfect, are strong and fairly lightweight (...BTW affordable too)

These show up from time to time here and also on the Planet 9 forum, and you should find a nice set for less than $1k

To make the wheels flush, you can use spacers (with longer lugs).

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

It is indeed going to be okay, you won't be the 1st who've successfully upgraded a set of wheels on a boxster.

The heavier the wheels are = less performance out of the car + heavier the stress is on the suspension assembly and wheel bearing.

Does look better with 18 though Luck with finding the right wheels!

PS: avoid 'adapters' unless sourced from a well known engineering backed company/manufacturer. You are looking at around $300~500 for a half decent set of adapters (machined and heat/hardened 7075AL is not cheap). They are also quite rare and often made-to-order.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

I have a 99 with factory 18 ". The winter set is 17 not factory. I wouldn`t consider going 19. The 18 will fill the hole nicely.No spacers on either set.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rims , spacers , wheel adapters , wheels