View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
duprat_design

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Congrats on the Boxster purchase! the 5X130 pattern is pretty unique to Porsche, thus the dearth of wheel choices. Be careful as our back spacing (ET) is also tricky. Combining spacers, adapters, and wheels not meant for your particular car can end up being a complex math problem that leads to expensive & useless results if you get things wrong.
If you find a set of wheels and adapters that you think will work, be sure to plug the numbers into an offset calculator before laying down your hard earned cash.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Thanks for the welcome and advice j.fro:

I get the complexity of the issue, I really do and I guess that's why I'm reaching out. Maybe I was wrong with this post, the goal isn't necessarily to add spacers and adapters.

I was kinda hoping for the "perfect storm" ie. the right set of wheels, and the added thickness of the adapters creating the wider and preferred stance. But maybe that's rarer than actually finding a set of rims with the correct bolt pattern! lol

So lets just forget about the adapters for a minute...assuming I get something with the correct bolt pattern, the research I've done indicates that 18" wheels were an option on my car a '98. I'm currently running factory 17s. Is it likely to cause any issue for me to go with 18s that are a little wider or have an increased offset so that I can get the more appealing stance I'm on the hunt for? I see a lot of great looking options that are 19" but I'm not convinced I want to go that route, I do like a little meat on the tires to help with the ride....

End goal - better looking stance (without lowering) with slightly different/larger wheels - without compromising the "go-kart" handling that we all love about the Boxster. Is it possible? I get the argument "you're not an engineer, why second guess or change what the guys in Germany spec'ed this car with" but I'm hoping someone out there has done something similar and has the experience to say - it's gonna be okay!

Thanks again!
duprat_design is offline   Reply With Quote