Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

Garage
Weigth loss: Battery

I´m trying to put my Box on a diet, without sacrifying to much of the streetability (is that a word btw?). I use it as a Daily driver, but also take it to the track.

My present battery is 42 Pounds, and as we all know placed high in the car.. Would love to address this somehow.
I have looked into standard "racing batterys" Braille, Odyssey etc, but so far not found anything that feels right. So I started to look at Lithium batterys, that give a bit more drastic weight reduction, but they are quite exepensive..

Came across this: Lithium starting battery lightweight racing The first one I found with more reasonable prices, but would it really work?

Any thoughts?

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

Several: This are designed for race applications, as such they list CA or cranking amps, not CCA or cold cranking amps, which is what is important for street applications in cold environments like yours. The use a different charging profile than the alternator in your car is set for, and they have an extremely limited disposal/recycling chain (Li poisons lead, so they cannot be recycled together).

You can save some weight (7-10 lbs.) without all the above issues by going with an AGM battery such as the Optima or Odyssey, which are meant for street use in cold climates.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #3

Garage
You can buy an Odyssey PC925 for a round $153. I've been running one since 2012. I believe that the weight is 21#. You can also buy a Aluminum mount from about $38 to $150. The PC 925 has no problem cranking the car repeatedly or running accessories in traffic.

The Odyssey PC625 is pretty much designed for a track car starting 16#. I don't know how it performs in traffic with accessories.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 11-19-2017 at 02:36 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
You can buy an Odyssey PC925 for a round $153. I've been running one since 2012. I believe that the weight is 21#. You can also buy a Aluminum about mount from $38 to $150. The PC 925 has no problem cranking the car repeatedly or running accessories in traffic.

The Odyssey PC625 is pretty much designed for a track car starting 16#. I don't know how it performs in traffic with accessories.
^^^^ What he said ^^^.

The Odyssey PC925 is fine for a street car and will save a lot of weight. I have a spare one sitting in my workshop.

I use an Odyssey PC680 my Spec Boxster but its a race car and I don't have any electric accessories. I wouldn't recommend a battery that small for a street car.

PC925 and PC680 installed;
Attached Images

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-19-2017 at 08:49 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
I´m trying to put my Box on a diet, without sacrifying to much of the streetability (is that a word btw?). I use it as a Daily driver, but also take it to the track.

My present battery is 42 Pounds, and as we all know placed high in the car.. Would love to address this somehow.
I have looked into standard "racing batterys" Braille, Odyssey etc, but so far not found anything that feels right. So I started to look at Lithium batterys, that give a bit more drastic weight reduction, but they are quite exepensive..

Came across this: Lithium starting battery lightweight racing The first one I found with more reasonable prices, but would it really work?

Any thoughts?
I ran a 5lb Shorai LI battery in my Boxster for a few years.

The plusses: 5lb weight, fit in the tray fine with a custom aluminum bracket, good starting power when new.

The minuses: Very limited reserve power. Requires a very specific charger/maintainer to keep it healthy and it needs to be hooked up whenever the car is parked in the garage. May not work in very cold climates. If you use the wrong charger/maintainer or let it go flat once or twice, it will become damaged and no longer start your car.

It was effective as a track car battery but maybe too sensitive for a daily driven street car. I did have to push start several times after I abused the battery with a standard maintainer so my current car has a full size battery.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

I switched to a Miata battery and saved 20lbs. I’ve been using it for a year now without any problems. It does have a sluggish turnover though
Old 11-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

I have run a Odyssey PC925 for years. You don't want to go any smaller than that for a regular street driven car. You will have to plug it into a proper AGM maintainer if it is not driven regularly. This also keeps the battery healthy
Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Garage
Wow, this forum is really great! This is exactly the kind of info I needed, I´ll go for a Odyssey PC925, thanks all!

I have a C-tek MXS-5.0 I Believe that should work just fine.

Last edited by Robert986; 11-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Rennline sells a custom holder for it
Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

I got the Magnapower AGM ETK16L from pepboys. same weight as the expensive ones, but only $68 with discount.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Garage
Smile

I can just confirm that I went for the PC925 and am very happy so far!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #12

Garage
I have a nice lite-weight Aluminum Mounting bracket for a 925 I'll sell for $40.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have a nice lite-weight Aluminum Mounting bracket for a 925 I'll sell for $40.
I’m interested in your bracket if still a available. Tried to PM you for some pics but your mailbox is too full to accept new messages! Let me know, thanks!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #14

I've had a Miata battery in my boxster for for two years and they only seem to last one year before they lose their starting ability. I'm on my second one and it barely starts my car. I'm going back to a stock size.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #15

Deka ETX30L is the way to go.
I bought one on @topless’ recommendation & it’s better than expected. Out of caution, I put it in a maintainer when it sits for a week or so, but I have never had a problem starting.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #16

braille is just a re-branded dekka with considerable mark-up.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I’m interested in your bracket if still a available. Tried to PM you for some pics but your mailbox is too full to accept new messages! Let me know, thanks!
I have the bracket & I deleted some old PM's.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have the bracket & I deleted some old PM's.