Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #21

Non Functional window Reg.

What type of noise do you hear and does the glass move at all?

Does the W/R make a grinding noise or does it just hum?

Try to push and raise the glass down by hand. It should not move more than 8 or so millimeters. If it moves alot you've got a broken cable. If it does not move you may have a jammed cable or a dead motor.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #22

sound

well here is the thing there was a sound at one time but now when i hit the window switch i get no noise. I can not push the window down at all. I checked to see if it was the switch by swapping the plug for the passenger window but the window still wouldn't go down. i ordered a window regulator and motor. What are the chance that it's the motor? It's a 1997 porsche boxster with 93k.. when i called the place where i got the motor and regualtor he said very rare for the motor to go out. So please any advice to the updated info would be greatly valued
I also can't mannually push down the window it seems like a rock.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #23

Glass Movement

Can you lift the glass at all?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i had similar problem, it ended up being the regulator only. cost me $200 even with installation. ther was no way i was gonn do that myself in 30 degree chicago weather at that time
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #25

no movement with the window. I can not move it all with the switch or by hand
Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #26

just so i explain it right the window right now is closed. The top of the window will not tuck under the rubber gasket on the hard top. When i press the switch nothing happens and if i tried to push window down manually nothing happened. It won't move at all. My question is if i am going to change the regulator or motor how do i get the window down to access the bolts i need to get to ? I am figuring it is my regulator that is burnt out. At this point I will wait for more info. I am trying to be as clear as possible . Thank you for your help
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #27

Power Window Relay

Can someone tell where is the relay for the power windows. Also is there more then one relay for both windows. What I mean is there seperate relay for left/side windows. Pictures would be great
Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #28

There is no relay(s) for the power windows.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #29

Window motor/Regulator

So the only way to see what is dead would be to take it apart. Does anyone know if there is any other way to test if the motor is still good. Thank you for the answer about the window relay. Also how do i get the window down to access the bolts on the clamps holding the glass. Is there some kind of trick. I have read the window project but do not see anything about if your window is stuck in the up position.

Last edited by clb0099; 11-22-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #30

Update

Well i went ahead and bought the regulator / motor installed in and nothing works still. Seems like no power going to the window. I am so confused since i check the fuse ad people are saying there is no relay for the windows. My passenger window is working fine. Anyone have an idea what it could be? I checked the plug in the box under the seat it seems to b plugged in . There is only one plug i can feel . Please help me out alittle.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #31

I have a similar problem. However, my door window operated normally when opening the door. It just doesn't lower the window quite enough to clear the top frame when I go to close it. It lowers a bit, but not enough to clear. It bangs into the top frame every time I close the door with the window up. Is this the same issue as everyone else?
oversteerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #32

oversteerdawg: You are describing classic regulator wear. It either stops dropping that 1/4 inch, drops at the front or the back but not both, won't raise after it drops, or the window just won't go all the way up or all the way down.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
Well i went ahead and bought the regulator / motor installed in and nothing works still. Seems like no power going to the window. I am so confused since i check the fuse ad people are saying there is no relay for the windows. My passenger window is working fine. Anyone have an idea what it could be? I checked the plug in the box under the seat it seems to b plugged in . There is only one plug i can feel . Please help me out alittle.
If you haven't gotten this problem solved yet, it could be the window switch in the center console. They do wear out eventually.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #34

Window Dip

I had the same problem (2002-base) but have an extended warranty through Momentum Porsche here in Houston- they replaced the door switch and also the regulator. Solved the problem.

Big Trouts
big trouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #35

Big Trouts: Glad to hear of another boxster owner in Houston on this forum. keep an eye out for a new thread I'm about to start about a boxster meet in two weeks!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #36

Boxster Meet

Keep me posted too RN, I'm up for a drive. -Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #37

Did you fix the problem oversteerdawg?

I'm just wondering,
is that the regulator problem?
anyone please help me solve this problem.
thanks.
f_laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #38

Garage
I'm reviving this ancient thread because there's so much information here to read and I'm kind of stuck with my 986 window problem. I replaced my battery last weekend, and afterwards the driver's window is acting a tad squirrely. The window goes up and down fine, but when I shut the door from the outside the window doesn't drop quite far enough -- making contact with the top frame. As a result, the door doesn't close properly.

The window drops as it should (the drop-down feature as you open/close the door) but as I shut the door the window pops back to its home position before the door is closed. It's as if the timing is off or something. Is the a symptom of the faulty regulator? It's just odd that it all started happening when the battery was replaced. (Also, for some reason by windshield washer pump stopped working).
Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
I'm reviving this ancient thread because there's so much information here to read and I'm kind of stuck with my 986 window problem. I replaced my battery last weekend, and afterwards the driver's window is acting a tad squirrely. The window goes up and down fine, but when I shut the door from the outside the window doesn't drop quite far enough -- making contact with the top frame. As a result, the door doesn't close properly.

The window drops as it should (the drop-down feature as you open/close the door) but as I shut the door the window pops back to its home position before the door is closed. It's as if the timing is off or something. Is the a symptom of the faulty regulator? It's just odd that it all started happening when the battery was replaced. (Also, for some reason by windshield washer pump stopped working).
Sounds like the door lock or inner handle micro switch. This happened to me and it was the door lock unit. In contrast, when my regulator went out (removed I found lots of slack from wear), it wouldn't drop enough opening or closing.

All this before 80K miles
Old 02-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #40

Garage
Did you go through the window reset procedure? Lower window, then raise and hold for several seconds after it has reached the top position. This lets the window controller know where the top window position is.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote