Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Spark plugs, or plugs and coils?

Im gonna attempt to change my brakes, and i figure ill go ahead and change the plugs while im at it. 56k miles, so its probably due for a plug change. So should i change the coils or anything else while im at it and the wheels are off?

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

'01 S still? What was done at 30k?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
Im gonna attempt to change my brakes, and i figure ill go ahead and change the plugs while im at it. 56k miles, so its probably due for a plug change. So should i change the coils or anything else while im at it and the wheels are off?

Joe

I have the original coils in my 2000 S with 121,K miles, no reason to replace them until you get misfires indicated by a trouble code for that cylinder, & it's not caused by failing to fully engage the proper wire to it's coil.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

coils (esp on a flat six) react very poorly to salt and will corrode. inspect them and look for any instance of the cover peeling back and exposing the innards. you can wait for a code, but if they look like they are weathering poorly then perhaps good preventative maintenance to replace them. often the inner workings can be exposed but not throw a code until driven in wet conditions and get splashed w water.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

At 60K, you should be doing a major service;
  • Replace oil & oil filter
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace serpentine belt
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Check ECU for any codes
If the brake fluid hasn't been changed for two years, its time for new brake fluid also.

If the coolant hasn't been changed in 10 years, I would change that also. Its supposed to be "lifetime" but no one really believes that.

Everything else should be inspected and all other fluid levels checked. I wouldn't replace the coil packs unless they look damaged or the engine is reporting a misfire.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
'01 S still? What was done at 30k?
I dont know, it had 46k miles on it when i bought it. And yes, still the 2001 S.

Joe
Old 10-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
At 60K, you should be doing a major service;
  • Replace oil & oil filter
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace serpentine belt
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Check ECU for any codes
If the brake fluid hasn't been changed for two years, its time for new brake fluid also.

If the coolant hasn't been changed in 10 years, I would change that also. Its supposed to be "lifetime" but no one really believes that.

Everything else should be inspected and all other fluid levels checked. I wouldn't replace the coil packs unless they look damaged or the engine is reporting a misfire.
I change the oil and filter every 3-4k miles, just replaced the air filter about 2 months ago, im gonna change the serpentine belt this winter when i put in my new water pump, i have no idea when the last time the fuel filter or brake fluid has been changed. Ill change those while im at it. Thanks for the checklist!

Joe
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

If you have any sign or history of any oil leak in the vicinity of the spark plug area, I would consider replacing the spark plug tube o-rings "while you are at" replacing the spark plugs. There are two o-rings per tube, and even genuine Porsche parts here are not very expensive. The spark plug tubes will be accessible when you have the coils removed to replace the spark plugs.
Spark plug tubes

As for the coils themselves, as I demonstrate in above-linked post, I would recommend cleaning their exteriors, and giving them a very careful inspection them when you are changing the plugs. Be on the lookout for any cracks. All six of the coils on my 120k mile, 2001 2.7 looked perfect and wouldn't be able to be distinguished from brand new coils after being cleaned up, (with the exception of a couple of the the silicone rubber boots having small tears - available separately as Porsche part number 996-602-105-00).

Last edited by jakeru; 10-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote