Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #1

Question Proper Clutch Procedure

Good Morning,

1998 Boxster with 65,000 Miles (new clutch at 60,000). NO problems with the clutch whatsoever!

My question is simply to find out the proper procedure for depressing the clutch when shifting. Is it required to depress the clutch all the way to the floor (as the manual suggests)? I can very smoothly shift gears while depressing the clutch only half way - but will this reduce the wear and longevity of the flywheel?

Your advise is, as always, much appreciated!

AK

akpud

'98 Silver Boxster (60,000 Miles) (Sold)
'99 Black 911 C2 (50,000 Miles)
akpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I would say Yes you can do that just as long as the shifting motion is fluid and smooth...Nothing fast and jerky but you would probably have to match the rpms alittle to prevent any grinding...Naturally the box's clutch starts engaging with the top half of the pedal stroke.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Hi,

You should fully depress the clutch every time. This allows for all the various parts to travel their full throw and prevent corrosion or dry spots.

Also, the floor acts as a stop so you know it's fully depressed. Your foot is not so sensitive as to be able to gauge exactly halfway each and every time and you'll surely increase the wear to the machine over time.

Finally, it's just generally a Bad Habit and you should concentrate on developing Good Habits to increase your driving skill and preserve your machinery. You might shift like this for years with no problem, but if Porsche wanted you to, they'd have put a stop at the halfway point. Also, I will not ever promote or recommend adopting Bad Habits in Driving.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #4

Sorry to say this but, your sound like the poster boy for the DMV, turn signals with your arm and all. Im sure it would be ok not press the clutch pedal ALL the way down just as long as its pressed far enough to disengage the clutch, The Porsche is a fine peice of machinary BUT i do not believe that the transmission is a delicate aluminum foil device. If people can goto the race track and with a stock transmission, then it should be fine to not have to floor the clutch to the absolute floor before changing gears. I personaly dont do that myself, but what i do is as im pressing the pedal down, im applying gentle pressure to shifter and by the time my foot is all the way down im already in neutral and am forcing it into the next gear, like all one fluid motion.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #5

Fully depress the clutch. Anything else can and will cause wear in the long run.
Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
boggtown

I have always fully depressed the clutch, just a habit. Do it enough so its a habit and you won't have to worry anymore. Although I have been known to double clutch sometimes, but the last time was like a couple months ago, then you have no wear on your clutch.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Sorry to say this but, your sound like the poster boy for the DMV, turn signals with your arm and all. Im sure it would be ok not press the clutch pedal ALL the way down just as long as its pressed far enough to disengage the clutch, The Porsche is a fine peice of machinary BUT i do not believe that the transmission is a delicate aluminum foil device. If people can goto the race track and with a stock transmission, then it should be fine to not have to floor the clutch to the absolute floor before changing gears. I personaly dont do that myself, but what i do is as im pressing the pedal down, im applying gentle pressure to shifter and by the time my foot is all the way down im already in neutral and am forcing it into the next gear, like all one fluid motion.

Hi,

Stow the stuff about the DMV, we're talking about operating the machine and he will cause excess wear, premature failure, and increased maintenance costs.

Good Driving is not an Art or Natural Ability, it's a Skill to be learned and you don't learn by developing sloppy habits.

Also, your described method of shifting will cause premature wear to the synchros - you should not pressure the stick until the clutch is disengaged. Drive as you wish, it's your car, but I won't be the only one to say I told you so when you're paying for a repair which could have been avoided...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #8

You know what, your right, I tried to do what the thread starter discribed (pushing clutch half way down)....I can not do it. It just seems way too close to engauged to attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Stow the stuff about the DMV, we're talking about operating the machine and he will cause excess wear, premature failure, and increased maintenance costs.

Good Driving is not an Art or Natural Ability, it's a Skill to be learned and you don't learn by developing sloppy habits.

Also, your described method of shifting will cause premature wear to the synchros - you should not pressure the stick until the clutch is disengaged. Drive as you wish, it's your car, but I won't be the only one to say I told you so when you're paying for a repair which could have been avoided...

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 07-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #9

Thanks Folks - your advice is much appreciated!
AK

akpud

'98 Silver Boxster (60,000 Miles) (Sold)
'99 Black 911 C2 (50,000 Miles)
akpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #10

Always fully depress the clutch.
Blipping the throttle on downshifts to match revs can also increase longevity of the clutch.
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannot
Blipping the throttle on downshifts
What is this? Do I need to do it for street driving?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What is this? Do I need to do it for street driving?
Of course you do not, but if you want to increase your driving experience and skills...then next step is heel and toe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_and_toe

More seriously, if all of this is well executed, it's much smoother on downshifts.
Note that robotized gears boxes such as M3's SMG II blip the throttle by themselves.

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote