Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

986 '99 - Changing the Car Speaker Amplifier in hood.

Hi all

Im currently changing all speakers in my Boxster '99. The orginal 4x40w amp in the hood isn't delivering enough power to my new Alpine Type-X speakers.

So I bought a 4x400w amp, and Im going to replace the original if I can.

Is it completely safe for me to change it out for another amp?

Photo of the speaker amplifier below.

-Regards from Iceland.

demantur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Nobody?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #3

Beautiful picture

I am sorry, cannot comment on the amplifier...
but your car looks great with those wheels
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

Can't advise either. Not an expert in car audio system and will never be, only because there are roughly 7,233,888 different options out there to chose from. All preety elementary stuff however thank god lolll Whateverworks for you man

On the safety part, ensure that the amp is positioned/oriented as-per-mfg-advice. That to ensure proper heat management. Some can be held vertically, input facing top, others needs to be flatten, etc etc. 3x make sure of this with the manufacturer (400x4 amps can become quite hot in summer days...). Careful with that.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I am sorry, cannot comment on the amplifier...
but your car looks great with those wheels
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Can't advise either. Not an expert in car audio system and will never be, only because there are roughly 7,233,888 different options out there to chose from. All preety elementary stuff however thank god lolll Whateverworks for you man

On the safety part, ensure that the amp is positioned/oriented as-per-mfg-advice. That to ensure proper heat management. Some can be held vertically, input facing top, others needs to be flatten, etc etc. 3x make sure of this with the manufacturer (400x4 amps can become quite hot in summer days...). Careful with that.
Maybe its unclear what I'm asking about I can change out the orginal amp without any problems? (Its not connected to any computer thingamajig?)

But yeah I'm very ware of the heat danger, luckily I live in Iceland so heat isn't a problem
Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes it should be fine. I would run a proper size power and ground cable for the new amp. You should be able to use the existing speaker wires that run from the amp. This is assuming that this car doesn't use the MOST fiber optic system. I'm pretty sure a 99 uses a regular system.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

You can use any amp you'd like on a '99. Nothing scary or optical. Go for it!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by demantur View Post
Maybe its unclear what I'm asking about I can change out the orginal amp without any problems? (Its not connected to any computer thingamajig?)
yea its all analog.

I say this with ultimate respect, but if you are at asking these sort of questions, my advice to you is to let someone in the field of car audio installation do this for you.

Tommy has a point, not sure about the 400X4 but I have a 'bench-test' 200x4 here and it needs a 8 gauge wire and a 20ampX2 circuit to run. Not the type of circuit you find in every Porsche these days. It is HOT as f... also, I actually hate it lollll

If there any problem with the 40x6 amp our cars is equipped with? Can't imagine driving out more noise than that in this little 3sq/m cabin (Max 80Wx4 I'd say). You are a brave man if you go above that imho Watch out for permanent hearing loss bud
Old 08-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Did you use Alpine components? Where did you mount your crossovers?

There aren't many amps that will fit where the stock amp is. What model amp did you purchase?
You'll have no issues wiring directly to the factory wiring - the signal (rca) wiring was a bit tricky in my 02 with Bose, if I recall.

In my car, I used the OEM amp housing to mount a signal processor, and I used the OEM plug to interface to the car's wiring.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

4x400w????

What the hell are you running in there, 12" subs?
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
4x400w????

What the hell are you running in there, 12" subs?
I'm willing to be that's what it says on the cover, and actual output is nowhere near that number.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote