Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #1

Talking *new here* 1999 986 2.7l

Hi guys, I just bought my first porsche yesterday. A beautiful 986 (my 1999) in a lamborghini blue color.

I had a Jeep SRT8, which is quite fast.

Now, my boxster has a 2.7L with the tiptronic and its quite "dull" imo, but it handles like a gokart, which i love.

It has high performance headers, open exhaust from there, upgraded ECU.

What more can I do to up the power? - What would you guys recommend?

Is it possible to buy an bolt-on turbo/supercharger on the 1999 2.7L? Somebody told me there is not that much space for it. (So almost impossible?)

I've been looking at 3.2L from the S models, but its not "that much" quicker for that amount of money.

- Best regards from Iceland.

demantur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Tiptronic will slow you down.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Tiptronic will slow you down.
It does yeah. But I currently don't have a time-machine so I cant get it with manual
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by demantur View Post
It does yeah. But I currently don't have a time-machine so I cant get it with manual
Congrats on your new boxster!!!

The Tiptronic will NOT make you slower. In fact, auto makers are pretty much ditching the manual/stick for similar technology. Wonder why.

While one is “half-way” reaching to his 3rd pedal, pressed it, forked that stick into gear, and released the pedal, I am already in second gear pulling Gs (pffff). And yes, we've tried that here car side by side and I'm faster on the shifting + I can keep both hands on s-wheel and concentrate on my racing ahead - instead of kicking pedals, and doing all kinds of gesture with my right arm and leg

A Fliptronic (paddle shifter). That's what you need!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Congrats on your new boxster!!!

The Tiptronic will NOT make you slower. In fact, auto makers are pretty much ditching the manual/stick for similar technology. Wonder why.

While one is “half-way” reaching to his 3rd pedal, pressed it, forked that stick into gear, and released the pedal, I am already in second gear pulling Gs (pffff). And yes, we've tried that here car side by side and I'm faster on the shifting + I can keep both hands on s-wheel and concentrate on my racing ahead - instead of kicking pedals, and doing all kinds of gesture with my right arm and leg

A Fliptronic (paddle shifter). That's what you need!

[IMG]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/IMG_35681381469734.jpg[IMG]
Thanks

That paddle shifter looks very good, think i just might get me one of those.
Is it plug-and-play for those who have the tiptronic?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 AM   #6

If you have a 1999, then your motor is a 2.5 and not a 2.7. I know someone who has put a 2.7 in a 97-99, but it's unlikely yours has. I also know people who have put a turbo on their boxster. It can be done but it's very expensive and the M96 motor is not the best motor to turbo. I'm not sure the tiptronic could handle the extra heat and power from a turbo either. IMO, your best bet for going faster is to take some weight off the car. Starting with those wheels. Sure they look nice but they're probably boat anchors
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #7

If you're looking for super quick you bought the wrong car, however if you're looking for one of the finest handling cars around then congratulations.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #8

Congrats, that is a great looking car and color! Speed costs $, how fast do you want to go? A 3.4 liter engine from a 1999 996 would get you a lot, not sure how hard or expensive that would be if in fact you are in Iceland. There is a lot of information on what M96 engines can be swapped into what model year cars on the web. The background in the picture of your car doesn't look like anything I've ever seen of Iceland!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
MWS

Fast is relative...unless you are racing (of course!). I own cars which are much "quicker" than my Box, but they "feel" slower. As an example (if you are a new owner and haven't driven much), while driving try and not look at the speedometer and just guess what your speed is...my guess is that your "mental speed" is indeed much quicker than the "actual speed".

As a side note, several years ago (and in a different car) a mechanic replaced my broken speedo gear with the wrong part...the result was I was traveling faster than indicated, but because the number SAID I was going XX, I assumed I was. Unfortunately the police didn't make the same assumption (a fact I discovered after several tickets). Hey, there's a solution for you...change the speedo so it appears you are going faster....
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #10

Either a engine swap to a 3.4l or buying a much later Boxster S will get you a significant improvement in acceleration which means a lot of money. The 2.5 won't hold up to a supercharger at a boost level that's going to get the power increase I think you are looking for. I recommend enjoying the beautiful car for what it is. My S and for that matter my Carrera with 320 hp feels slow compared to my 03 E55 AMG. There is no way these cars will ever feel as quick as the SRT8. There's no replacement for displacement. But you don't want to take the SRT8 on a tight and curvy mountain rode.

Btw - Love the color and body kit.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #11

*new here* 1999 986 2.7l

Send it to flat6. He can go up 400 CCs and do lots of other things to give you whatever you want. I started with an S so went to 3.6, Nickies, pistons, rods, custom valves, intake, whatever exhaust you want to pay for and tuning by Jake Raby. I went for max torque and throttle response. Seat of the pants IMO is more important than maximum HP. I have owned a 930, a supercharged amongst other goodies 911SC, and a variety of other go fast cars. My 01 Boxster feels faster than any of them. I also have a 996, and did have an E46 M3 all at the same time. The boxster would run circles around both of them. Its not cheap, but you already know speed comes at a cost. jake is the best engine builder/inventor of all things porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ymkmkrz; 08-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks

Is it plug-and-play for those who have the tiptronic?
No worries

Plug and play; no, but considering there is only 2 wires on the left and 2 wires on the right to connect, you could say it is Plug & play. Takes 10 min to swap... as in, veryboringjob!

Results are pretty cool tough. Give that Tiptronic (eng. marvel?) the love it deserve my friend
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Notice where the guy lives, BTW. Some locations are used to citing the date of manufacture rather than the model date we in the states are used to. So there is a possibility of a '99 2.7L engine. Built in late '99 as a model year '00 to us.

A list of the standard "go fast" suggestions is here though some are US oriented. I don't think a Iceland car will get shipped to GA.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
No worries

Plug and play; no, but considering there is only 2 wires on the left and 2 wires on the right to connect, you could say it is Plug & play. Takes 10 min to swap... as in, veryboringjob!

Results are pretty cool tough. Give that Tiptronic (eng. marvel?) the love it deserve my friend
I'm already looking for the steering wheel online, where did you get yours? If you could link me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Either a engine swap to a 3.4l or buying a much later Boxster S will get you a significant improvement in acceleration which means a lot of money. The 2.5 won't hold up to a supercharger at a boost level that's going to get the power increase I think you are looking for. I recommend enjoying the beautiful car for what it is. My S and for that matter my Carrera with 320 hp feels slow compared to my 03 E55 AMG. There is no way these cars will ever feel as quick as the SRT8. There's no replacement for displacement. But you don't want to take the SRT8 on a tight and curvy mountain rode.

Btw - Love the color and body kit.
I'm getting more and more used to the go-kart feeling of the boxster, I honestly think I'd be equal on a track to my old SRT8, only because of the handling, so nimble
And thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Fast is relative...unless you are racing (of course!). I own cars which are much "quicker" than my Box, but they "feel" slower. As an example (if you are a new owner and haven't driven much), while driving try and not look at the speedometer and just guess what your speed is...my guess is that your "mental speed" is indeed much quicker than the "actual speed".

As a side note, several years ago (and in a different car) a mechanic replaced my broken speedo gear with the wrong part...the result was I was traveling faster than indicated, but because the number SAID I was going XX, I assumed I was. Unfortunately the police didn't make the same assumption (a fact I discovered after several tickets). Hey, there's a solution for you...change the speedo so it appears you are going faster....
I actually did this today, I wasn't even close to the actual speed, I aimed much higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Congrats, that is a great looking car and color! Speed costs $, how fast do you want to go? A 3.4 liter engine from a 1999 996 would get you a lot, not sure how hard or expensive that would be if in fact you are in Iceland. There is a lot of information on what M96 engines can be swapped into what model year cars on the web. The background in the picture of your car doesn't look like anything I've ever seen of Iceland!
Thank you so much. I honestly don't know what I'm aiming for. Think I just might leave it as is. Its just such a shame a boxster this beautiful doesn't have the power to match the looks. But yeah, its quite expensive to buy car parts, shipping alone is usually 400-500$ and then the taxes on top.
And Ill be sure to take one extra Icelandic photo with my car in it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
If you're looking for super quick you bought the wrong car, however if you're looking for one of the finest handling cars around then congratulations.
I'm getting more and more fond of the agility of the boxster, not like anything I've ever driven before. Think I can live with the fact it isn't >more powerful. Handling makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
If you have a 1999, then your motor is a 2.5 and not a 2.7. I know someone who has put a 2.7 in a 97-99, but it's unlikely yours has. I also know people who have put a turbo on their boxster. It can be done but it's very expensive and the M96 motor is not the best motor to turbo. I'm not sure the tiptronic could handle the extra heat and power from a turbo either. IMO, your best bet for going faster is to take some weight off the car. Starting with those wheels. Sure they look nice but they're probably boat anchors
You sure about that? 99% sure its an 2.7L

But actually the wheels dont weigh that much, light alloy wheels that cost alot.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #15

See this web page for a list of the model year changes for US cars. Note the difference between your chart and my list come in the engine change over years as your chart says 1999 where in the states it would be 2000.

I owned a Model year 1999 2.5L.

Grab the engine serial number and the Vehicle Identification Number and lets see what they tell us.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #16

Quote:
I'm already looking for the steering wheel online, where did you get yours? If you could link me up
Sure can! Raid - Carnewal - Porsche parts and accesories

However they don't seem to have them in stock 'today'. My understanding is those little car jewels comes and go, so you might want to drop them a line and get onto their waiting list. Or who knows, one might be sitting in their storage room waiting for that amazingly beautiful lambo blue boxster for adoption

Blame these folks if they are indeed out of stocks lollll
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/978362-tiptronic-performance-driving-2.html

Luck man
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
See this web page for a list of the model year changes for US cars. Note the difference between your chart and my list come in the engine change over years as your chart says 1999 where in the states it would be 2000.

I owned a Model year 1999 2.5L.

Grab the engine serial number and the Vehicle Identification Number and lets see what they tell us.
You guys were right, its an 2.5L, my bad

Quote:
Sure can! Raid - Carnewal - Porsche parts and accesories

However they don't seem to have them in stock 'today'. My understanding is those little car jewels comes and go, so you might want to drop them a line and get onto their waiting list. Or who knows, one might be sitting in their storage room waiting for that amazingly beautiful lambo blue boxster for adoption

Blame these folks if they are indeed out of stocks lollll
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/978362-tiptronic-performance-driving-2.html

Luck man
Thank you so much!
Now as a complete porsche rookie, which Pxx is for me
Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #18

If you enter your VIN into one of the many online VIN decoder sites, it should be able to poop out your engine type. My '99 is a 2.5. I actually got tripped up by that wikipedia table while I was shopping - I thought I was getting the slightly larger one the whole time.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The background in the picture of your car doesn't look like anything I've ever seen of Iceland!
Here you go my friend, a more Icelandic picture

Old 08-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #20

My god... this is beyond stunning. Nice car, nice shot, absolutely beautiful scenery and country.

Nice life, stay safe and enjoy it all bud