Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

need measurements -- building an electric 986

Hello,
My son and I are looking to convert a 986 to electric. We'll take out the engine and the transaxle and put in a differential (possibly from an old supra -- we need a 4.88 ratio and that diff can be upgraded) and drive it direct. But before we go ahead and buy a 986, we need to figure out if we can fit the motor and the differential! We think we need 31.5 inches from the axle to the front of the engine compartment (that is, right behind the seats, about 12 inches higher than the axle). Anyone know the distance?
Thanks.

jkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Roughly 23-24".
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Roughly 23-24".
Thanks Particlewave, I'm really surprised its that short! See the attached image -- is this the measurement you took? From the half axle (right where it connects to the transaxle, but don't count the cv joint, just measured from the axle itself) to the back of the seats, aka right behind the center armrest.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just rough measurements...

The firewall is about 2" behind the door frame. I got 26" measuring from the top, from the axles to the the firewall (including the protruding area between the seats).
At the transaxle output shaft (not 12" above) to firewall was roughly 31".

Maybe someone that has their engine bay open can get a more accurate measurement, but these shouldn't be more than 1-2" off. I don't think you'll get 31.5" at 12" above the transaxle output shaft without modifying the firewall (some have wedged an LS3 in there, so should be possible).
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 08-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Just rough measurements...

The firewall is about 2" behind the door frame. I got 26" measuring from the top, from the axles to the the firewall (including the protruding area between the seats).
At the transaxle output shaft (not 12" above) to firewall was roughly 31".

Maybe someone that has their engine bay open can get a more accurate measurement, but these shouldn't be more than 1-2" off. I don't think you'll get 31.5" at 12" above the transaxle output shaft without modifying the firewall (some have wedged an LS3 in there, so should be possible).
Thanks!! Yes a more accurate measurement would be great but this is encouraging. I can shave an inch or two off (I have some ideas on that) and yes I can cut into the firewall if I need to. The electric motor doesn't need to be firewalled.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

And if we do build this we'll be sure to post some progress reports -- we'll have more questions for everyone but it will be a really fun project!