Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Garage
How to remove rollbar pads?

Hi All,

Anyone know how to remove the pads from the rollbar, specifically the horizontal one one the center? I need to remove a bracket that is there for the soft shell storage bag, as I'm replacing it with the hard shell storage with rear speakers.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
You can wrestle them off with your hands, I did that the first time.
Trim removal tools work better, as you can pry directly under the locator pins. Got mine cheap at Princess Auto.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
You can wrestle them off with your hands, I did that the first time.

Trim removal tools work better, as you can pry directly under the locator pins. Got mine cheap at Princess Auto.

Thanks Steve!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Yep, pry with something lever-like. If metal, wrap with duct tape to not mar. Apply pressure not on edge of roll bar padding, but in middle - next to the mounting studs. Roll bar padding is riding, metal frame, with foam padding, I think polyurethane, and polyurethane covering. The polyurethane padding/covering can get deformed a bit, and "rebound" back to as-molded shape, after letting sit for a minute or two.

I also found there are two recessed notches at bottom edge of rollbar padding on each side, just below the topmost arch of the hoop. Sure seems designed to be a starting point for pry removal.

For the center pad, I'd consider removing one of the side pads first, and attacking it from the exposed edge. If you happen to bend a stud on the way out, not a problem to re-bend it straight - tap with a hammer. The stud simply are friction fit into plastic bushings. If the plastic bushings come out of the steel rollbar frame on the way out, just "unscrew" them and push them back in to the rollbar frame. You can replace with new bushings if they are too badly buggared up. Good luck!

Last edited by jakeru; 07-31-2017 at 08:30 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote