Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Help me understand how the Steering angle sensor and Psm Module affect ABS?

I need to delete the Steering angle sensor in a 01 boxster. But I would like to keep the ABS. I have installed a different steering column and I don't have anywhere to mount the Steering angle sensor. I do not understand what it does and what it is needed for. From what I have read it works with the Psm Module and affects the ABS.

jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Both ABS and PSM use the wheel sensors to provide wheel speed inputs.

The steering angle sensor is used by the PSM (along with all of the other inputs) to calculate the slip angle of the tires.

Then the PSM will determine if the car is understeering or oversteering and apply braking to an individual wheel as needed to help maintain control.

Porsche allows PSM to be turned off while ABS remains active but I don't know if you can force the PSM off permanently.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-23-2017 at 08:19 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

I only use my Boxster S for racing and googled a lot how to exlude the PSM system. However it is really simple. There is an electrical relay under the front hood on the leftt side. Remove that and you PSM is de-activated but ABS still works. Down side is that you will have a warning on the dash board each time you start the car.

John Carlsson is offline   Reply With Quote