Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #1

Squeaky Clutch-engine side

I have a squeaky clutch. Noise come from engine bay. Is this anything to worry about??

pdwelch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #2

Did you mean to say "I have a squeak in the engine bay when engaging/disengaging the clutch." Or did you mean that you have a squeaky clutch (pedal in the car) AND a noise in the engine bay?

How many miles? Has the car ever had a clutch?
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Garage
I've had a squeaky clutch noise for 5-6 years on mine. '00S w/43k. I've tried removing the slave cylinder and greasing the end of the little plunger thing. It didn't work. It's kind of a "springy" sounding squeak when I let out on the clutch pedal. It's in the clutch area as opposed to at the pedal itself. You'll see both areas posted as making noise on this forum. It almost sounds as though something has "dried" out. The clutch works ok though. Does your clutch work ok? Or does it feel stiff?
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Garage
Without hearing it I would say it is probably the throwout fork squeaking on the guide tube because of lack of grease. I don't think I would tear it apart for just this issue if the clutch is working fine. If it gets worse, the clutch will start to stick and either won't engage or slowly engage. You can do it as a DIY, but you need to drop the transaxle, exhaust, back bumper, etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

The clutch on my 02 S has 10k on it and is less than 2 years old. When I depress the clutch, I get a squeak from the lower driver's side just in front of the tire. Always been there as far as I know.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

Bumping an old thread, because I've got a squeaking / groaning clutch pedal also, and just captured a video with the serpentine belt access cover removed, which shows pretty clearly that the sound is coming from the engine compartment:
trim.EF324AE7-E59D-4DBF-A80D-2E179BAC8C01.MOV - Video - VideoSprout

Anyhow, what do you more experienced 986 mechanics make of this particular noise? Maybe just the throwout bearing actuating components (fork pivots and contact surfaces) being dry and need of lubricstion? That's sort of my guess.

With the cover and all carpeting replaced, door closed, and engine running, the noise doesn't sound anywhere near this bad, and seems as though the noise is coming from the pedal cluster itself. (As the video above pretty clearly evidences, this is incorrect and misleading!)

The car drives OK, although possibly the clutch pedal effort is higher than it could be. Clutch has a history of sometimes having a slight chatter, although has always held for me like a champ.