Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #1

Garage
Probe vs. Laser Pyrometers

I've been considering a pyrometer for a while but the probe type seem a bit expensive--$300-400; Longacre has a digital laser type that measure surface temps for $75. By their own description, the probe is more accurate for reading internal tire temps but I wonder if you could get the same indications--need air/need less air--from a surface temp pyrometer.
Would appreciate comments from those that have used pyrometers of both types.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #2

Lasers read the surface temp while probe types you actually push into the rubber and get a core temp of the tire. I have had both but use a core type as it is more accurate but it is a pain as you have to get immediare temps when you pull off the track or the tires heat sink and the data will be inaccurate.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
Lasers read the surface temp while probe types you actually push into the rubber and get a core temp of the tire. I have had both but use a core type as it is more accurate but it is a pain as you have to get immediare temps when you pull off the track or the tires heat sink and the data will be inaccurate.
Hi,

Agreed, the probe is more accurate, but the IR Pyromter is perhaps a tad easier. They're both within the degree of accuracy required by a weekend racer though.

If you're that anal, consider the Tire Pressure/Temperature system offered by Dakota Digital. It ain't cheap ($399), but it will display Tire pressure on all 4 wheels along with the Temp accurate within 0.1°F in real time as it samples every 0.3 sec. Check it out at http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=354/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd354.htm Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-17-2006 at 09:11 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote