Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #1

Which spark plug should I choose

A friend of mine is going to do my 30K inspection on my 99 boxster...I have to purchase the part and already ordered the air and cabine filter but I am not sure which plugs are recommended and how many do I need...My manual doesn't say...

here are the options:

http://replacement.********************************************************************************************/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1999&make=PO&model=986--001&category=All&part=Spark%20Plug&dp=true

Anyone has used one or the other and liked it?
I would like to order it today so if you have a minute to reply that would be a b ig help to me...

vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
bmussatti

Here is a good link for you:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=986maint
Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #3

Hi,

The OEM Plugs are either Bosch or Beru, interchangeable. Most likely no difference between the two which are noticeable.

My recommendation is to always go with the OEM Plugs on a Stock engine. This is because a lot of thought went into selecting them in the first place with regard to Heat Range and especially Indexing, that is, which orientation the electrode has to the Flame Front. Using aftermarket ones may fail to maintain this proper Index leading to poorer combustion, greater emissions (or your emissions gear working harder - shorter lifespan) and possibly even a drop in performance and MPG.

Also, your Plugs play a key role in extracting Heat from the Combustion Chamber/Cylinder by carrying it to the water-cooled Head to take away. Different Plugs may less efficient in accomplishing this leading to lots of premature wear issues because of the use of different alloys or design.

Stay away from Platinum Plugs - generally Snake Oil. Lots of Marketing and promises, but few verifiable results. Also, there have been documented reports of the tips breaking off in Boxster engines and causing Piston/Cylinder Head, and Liner damage...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-13-2006 at 07:34 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #4

Here's where I get mine. Pap-Parts

There are also full tune-up kits available from them at Pap-Parts Tune-Up Kit. Do not get the other tune-up kit they offer with the 4 electrode plugs. They do not meet the heat range specified by Porsche and can cause trouble in the long run. If you use Bosch plugs they should be FR 7 LDC and nothing else.

You should at least do the cabin filter and air filter while you're at it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #5

"Do not get the other tune-up kit they offer with the 4 electrode plugs. They do not meet the heat range specified by Porsche and can cause trouble in the long run. If you use Bosch plugs they should be FR 7 LDC and nothing else. "

Question is what is the Stock plug in a 2001 Boxster S... is it the 2 electrode or the 4???

Thanks.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #6

2 electrode is stock. If you go to the dealer for a plug change, you will never get 4 electrode plugs.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #7

Smile

I am going to disagree and suggest iridium plugs by DENSO.

Great stuff.

Last edited by Brucelee; 07-14-2006 at 05:12 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I am going to disagree and suggestg iridium plugs by DENSO.

Great stuff.
Hi,

Curious why you would say so. What makes them so good? More spark is not better than enough spark to ignite the A/F Mix, despite all the marketing hype.

And, there is no standardization in the Heat Ranges of the various Plugs on the market, only an approximation. In each Plug, the heat range is a measure of the spark plug's ability to remove heat from the combustion chamber.

In identical spark plugs, the differences from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. But, all Plugs must operate between 450°C to 850°C. If the tip temperature is lower than 450°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to deter fouling and carbon deposit build-ups, causing misfires. If the tip temperature exceeds 850°C, the spark plug will overheat which can cause the ceramic around the the center electrode to blister as well as the electrodes will begin to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage. But, remember, the Heat Ranges are approximations and only apply to identical Plugs from the same manufacturer. It is not possible for the layman to access the data for a different Plug to see if it exactly matches the OEM Spec., though some Plugs may have identical specs. And, you cannot be sure the Plugs possess an identical Index once installed in the Head.

If longer Life, well I'm from the school which says to change your Plugs every two years regardless of Mileage. Spark Plugs are subjected to some of the greatest stress produced by the engine (think of the Heat Cycles they must endure and how many times they work/min. of Driving). Spark Plugs are really pretty fragile and are subject to any number of bad things such as broken electrodes, carbon arcing, and cracked porcelain.

They simply should not be installed and forgotten, they need some semi-regular inspection. Since they are relatively cheap to replace (especially for the DIYer), and since inspection amounts to changing them (especially on the Boxster) anyway, you might as well get a fresh set in there while you're at it - it justifies all the work of jacking up the car, removing the undercover, coil pack, and such.

If you think of it, some people will change less important, but maybe more expensive, items at a much shorter or regular interval than their plugs, that doesn't make much sense to me. You'll spend more $$ on a K&N Filter or intake mod, than you'll spend on a lifetime of Plugs, even at a 2-year change interval - that just strikes me as odd, but it's probably because people generally aren't that knowledgeable about Plugs and don't appreciate the value of a fresh set...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-13-2006 at 08:06 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #9

Smile

I appreciate your comments. However, based on my experience with Iridiums, I think they are worth the extra $.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:29 AM   #10

I prefer the sparking kind.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote