Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #1

H&R wheel spacers

I'm thinking about getting some spacers for my 2002 boxster with 18" sport classic wheels, stock suspension, 225/40 in front, 245/35 in back. my question is this: can i go with 14mm in front or should I stick with 7mm? I was thinking about ordering the 14mm, try them on the front, if it doesn't work, put them on the back, order up some 7mms for the front.
Waddya think?

ericweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
KronixSpeed

14mm will look really odd in the front. stick with the 7mm spacers in the front. not that the car even needs front spacers. i have 7mm h&r spacers on the back and they are perfect, with my set up. 275 / 30 / 19 rear and front 235 / 30 / 19 front. with this set up i feel no need to add a front spacer. no need. i only added a rear spacer because my rear rim was a 10.5 width and i needed to clear the rear strut, cause i was touching it.

why is it that you want to put a spacer on the front? esspecially 14mm.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #3

thanks for the tip....I'm also thinking of getting H&R rear spacers for my 19" rims. Its around $100 for the pair. Do i need to get alignment done again if i get spacers?

986 silver boxster
E46 TiAg ///M3
92 red miata
boxsterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
KronixSpeed

no, i don't think that you will need the car aligned, because of spacers. but when i put 19s on the car with my size of rubber, apparently my camber and toe were completly whack. i took the car to a porsche race team and the guy said that i need to do an alignment and toe and camber adjustments.

soo i think that you should do an alignment for sure, after you put the 19s. put the spacers on the back 7mm is all you need, any more and it will look really bad. my 7mm bring the rims out alittle any more and it wouldnt of looked good. the front i actually still have the spacers in the box, didnt use them because it looks really good with the front flushed with the rim not coming out of the wheel well.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #5

My reason for the spacers in front is mostly for esthetics. I think that the wheel looks a bit inset from the wheelwell. Of course I'm also thinking that more width in front could help with oversteer (not that I've got much- alignment with a little more neg camber coming friday though) But mostly, I just want the wheels to fill out the wheelwells.
Thanks for the input- much appreciated!
E
Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
bmussatti

ericweller, I have the Porsche 5mm wheel spacers on my car, and they make the 19" wheels look great in the wheel wells. Very full.

As an FYI, make sure you purchase wheel bolts that are 7 mm longer if you decide to go with the 7 mm spacers. Don't go "cheap" and re-use the current bolts.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
KronixSpeed

bmusatti is right you must buy longer bolts.......
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #8

Trigger pulled- 7mm spacers and 52mm bolts on the way. :dance: