Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Garage
98 Boxster engine wiring issues?

I just purchased a 98 boxster that has been sitting for along time. The previous owner told me it needed a wiring harness. Does anyone know of a wiring issue with the 98 model?

1stbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Woody should be able to take care of you as he have dissasembled many Boxters
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbox View Post
I just purchased a 98 boxster that has been sitting for along time. The previous owner told me it needed a wiring harness. Does anyone know of a wiring issue with the 98 model?
Elaborate please... Does it have a harness? The wiring issue with a '98 that has been sitting for 12 years is usually that rodents have chewed up the wires. You may be able to repair the damage. Knock sensor wires seem to be the most common choice, but if they made a nest in the trunk, you may want a full replacement. Look at it and tell us more.
..and we love to look at pictures.

If it was me, I'd probably pull the engine and transmission out. Get a good look at everything and do 12 years worth of maintenance now. If you just do the 'need-to-do stuff' to get it on the road you may regret it when things start failing - AOS, coolant tank, water pump, hoses, RMS, oil cooler, spark plug tubes....

Edit: Also consider your tires and brakes - especially the brake hoses from the hard line to the caliper. A running engine is great, but turning and stopping will come to mind shortly after.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-23-2017 at 08:17 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 AM   #4

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62826-rats-will-die.html
I hope that it's nothing at all to do with any wire harness. If they chewed through the main harness, you're in for a lot of work to replace it as everything has to come out of the interior to replace it. I'd walk away if it is. The engine and rear body harness are easy to replace. I'm betting the real problem is your immobilizer got wet. Pull the front driver seat and open the box that's under it
Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
A running engine is great, but turning and stopping will come to mind shortly after.
Yes indeed, it seems like pretty good advise..

Last edited by Gilles; 05-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Garage
Im in the process of taking the interior out and inspecting the wiring. So far i have not seen any harness damage. The harness is complete. Im probably gonna just part the car out, would just like to hear it run first. I was able to reach in and turn the engine over by hand. Feels good. With the key on all the dash light are working, missing the headlights and headlight switch. Radio is gone also. So will the engine spin over if the immobilizer in not functioning correctly?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbox View Post
So will the engine spin over if the immobilizer in not functioning correctly?
If the immobilizer isn't working properly, the engine will not turn over. The car will have power to all of the accessories but nothing will happen when you turn the key to start the engine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
If the immobilizer isn't working properly, the engine will not turn over. The car will have power to all of the accessories but nothing will happen when you turn the key to start the engine.
What is involved in restoring the immobilizer? If i replace the computer?