Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Another rooftop question

First post here, but this seems to be great resource for Boxsters. I have a silver 2005 987.1 that I bought about 2 months ago. It had the usual problem with part of the top not fitting into the roof channel which I fixed with the aid of some the posts from this site.

It also had another issue with the nylon ball joints that operate the arms and as part of replacing them with the metal ones I also found that one of the elastic cords had got caught around the nylon ball joint and this possibly contributed to the demise of the nylon ball joint.

Anyhow, the attached photo shows one of the elastic cords (there is one detached on each side), as well as another grey VB cord that has a metal fastening on the end. Both of these are at the very bottom of the roof when raised.

Despite a search on the internet I cannot find any information on these two cords, nor a diagram that may show where they would be affixed. As mentioned, they are not the usual suspects that are associated with the roof channel. Once raised, the roof seems to fit perfectly.

Any idea what they will be fastened to?

42 South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Are these mystery cords attached to the roof canvas or to the much thinner rain screen skirt?
BTW the plastic Ball sockets are available on FleBay -no need to buy the whole rod assy. You can also get a steel upgrade. I am trying a 90 degree, s/s part that would normally be used on a Gas Strut. I'll post results when the parts arrive from HK - less than $4 for 2 !
Here is some excellent Top fix procedures from WAyne:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair.htm

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-18-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Are these mystery cords attached to the roof canvas or to the much thinner rain screen skirt?
BTW the plastic Ball sockets are available on FleBay -no need to buy the whole rod assy. You can also get a steel upgrade. I am trying a 90 degree, s/s part that would normally be used on a Gas Strut. I'll post results when the parts arrive from HK - less than $4 for 2 !
As stated the elastic cord is not connected to the rain channel or whatever it is called - both were much further down and as the photo shows must be at the bottom below the glass window or thereabouts. I can't see where they are connected to because they are so low down near the back of the seats.

I purchased a set of the steel ball sockets (no rod assembly) from ******************************** Hamilton and they came in a bag marked FCP Euro I think. Very good quality. One of the elastic cords was actually wrapped around the ball socket possibly causing the failure.

42 South is offline   Reply With Quote