Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #1

Help! squealing noise + smoke Freaking out!

hi everyone!
I bought a 99 boxster with 35K on it 6 weeks ago. I was out of town for a month and came back 2 days ago. when I came back SO much smoke came out of the exhaust. I researched on this site and it seems that it happens often when the car has been sitting for a while.
I drove it today and there was this really bad squealing noise basically while being in first or second gear. It's not necessarly while Im on the clutch. Seems like it happens while stiring at low speed...Its a little embrassing AND I freaking out!
I stopped by the dealer but they told me they will have to remove the transmission and some other stuff in order to access and change the wheel bearing which is will come up to $1000 since labor is $112!
And they dont even know if that's the problem!!! Ciuld you guys tell me if you had similar experiences?
If anyone knows a good porsche mecanic around st louis, MO PLEASE let me know!
PLEASE reply as soon as possible, I will be checking! Vanessa

vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vouvoune
hi everyone!
Seems like it happens while stiring at low speed...
did you mean STEERING at low speed? probably your belt is slipping on the power steering pump. have the power steering fluid level checked and replace the belt. cost should be very cheap; it's a simple job.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #3

sorry, english is not my first language...yes, I meant steering...Thanks for your input!

It also makes the noise (comes and goes) while Im just parked or on reverse...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vouvoune
sorry, english is not my first language...yes, I meant steering...Thanks for your input!

It also makes the noise (comes and goes) while Im just parked or on reverse...
quite alright. does it make a difference if the car is hot or cold? try just turning the wheel all the way right and all the way left while parked. do you hear it then?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #5

It's the oil separator. Don't drive it until you get it fixed.

Mine did the exact same thing. The squeeling is air going through your oil filler tube. The oil separator fails, it opens a huge vacuum in the oil filler tube and sucks it flat creating a whistle that sounds like a squealing belt. It also allows oil to get into places it's not supposed to be so it burns off with huge clouds of smoke at start-up and more smoke than normal when driving.

You can replace it in about 1 1/2 hours DIY if you want to or take it to a dealer and tell them to replace it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
bmussatti

There are 2 Porsche dealers in the St. Louise area:

Parktown (Kirkwood) 314-965-7711
Plaza Motors (Creve Coeur) 314-301-1703
Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #7

the oil separator makes sense...I take my BMW to Bimmers R us in STL and the owner is this very honest str8 forward guy who I trust. He referred me to a shop SEEHRA and their hourly rate is almost half of Parktown.
I think I will go with them.
I have heard of people installing oil separators themselves...On a STL louis forum someone did it on their car a few weeks ago...maybe I can ask their help...
If you guy have any other ideas as far as the noise goes, please let me know (I was tod maybe the bearings or the belt)...