Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Shifting was bad, replaced the cables and now no neutral

Last spring, I took the car out of winter storage and almost immediately lost reverse. Everything shifted fine and then all of a sudden the shifter would not go into reverse. I put the car back into storage and figured I'd deal later. Well, now I'm seeing what I can do with it...
Drive it around for the last week to knock the cobwebs out of it, the shifting in general was not great - very stiff, almost like it was just barely going into any of the gears. I replaced the rear linkages because they were starting to bend and distort. Replacing the linkages had no effect.
I just got done replacing the cables and now the car will not go into neutral (trying to shift it by hand back at the transmission) so I can't set the new cables. Does anyone have any thoughts?
*99 Base with a short throw shifter, 150k miles. I replaced the clutch and flywheel about 30k miles ago

sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #2

Let me clarify.. The shifting is much, much better (as far as the forward/back motion). However, there is no side to side motion. Not at the shifter and not back at the transmission. It's something internal. It would not select side to side even without the cables attach (though it would do it just fine a few days ago). At this point, the car is a paperweight. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as I have to get this fixed and am 1) losing my storage for it and 2) moving across country in 7 days. I need all the help I can get!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post
Let me clarify.. The shifting is much, much better (as far as the forward/back motion). However, there is no side to side motion. Not at the shifter and not back at the transmission. It's something internal. It would not select side to side even without the cables attach (though it would do it just fine a few days ago). At this point, the car is a paperweight. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as I have to get this fixed and am 1) losing my storage for it and 2) moving across country in 7 days. I need all the help I can get!
Did you install the cables using the neutral gate alignment tool?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

I have one of those. It doesn't fit on the short throw shifter but it tells me generally where the shifter should be.
Keep in mind, that is not the problem here. I can't get the shift rod at the transmission to rotate. Not with the cables on. Not with the cables off. It used to but now it won't. It will slide in or out and feels like it's engaging gears. However, it won't rotate at all.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
I have one of those. It doesn't fit on the short throw shifter but it tells me generally where the shifter should be.
Keep in mind, that is not the problem here. I can't get the shift rod at the transmission to rotate. Not with the cables on. Not with the cables off. It used to but now it won't. It will slide in or out and feels like it's engaging gears. However, it won't rotate at all.
Sounds like it is time to pull the trans out to see why it is locked up.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Any advice what to target? My experience inside transmissions is extremely limited and I'm reluctant to just pull the transmission without some sort of plan because then the car really will be just a paperweight.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Any advice what to target? My experience inside transmissions is extremely limited and I'm reluctant to just pull the transmission without some sort of plan because then the car really will be just a paperweight.
Unless you are very familiar with the internals of one of these gear boxes, I would suggest engaging someone that is; they are a whole lot of fun to pull apart, and even more fun to get back together.....
Old 04-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

I've heard people talk about a centering spring etc. What's that all about?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
I've heard people talk about a centering spring etc. What's that all about?
I think you are referring to the second gear "pop out" fix.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

Ok, so I have neutral. The odd thing is the vertical rod part of the linkage (on the back of the transmission) is only using the very very top of that slot that's cut into the bracket. I took it out for a test drive and it will cycle through all the gears but 5th is tough to get out to and reverse is nonexistent. Just wont go all the way over to reverse. Brought it back to do some more looking at it and the transmission cover is soaked with gear oil as is the driverside of the transmission. Looks like it's coming from the top/back left side. It's not wet on the halfshaft or in front of that. Its the back left corner - halfshaft is dry but from the halfshaft back is pretty soaked.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Ok, I put some spacers under the rear linkage and managed to get all 5 gears and reverse. Started adjusting the cable length under the shifter but no luck. I might just stick with what I've got and call it the day.
The leaking is because a plug is on the driverside rear had backed itself out on the test drive and created an open hole that was spewing gear oil. The plug stayed with the car however! Thanks for small miracles. Haha
I'll clean everything back up, reinstall the plug, and change out the transmission fluid. It was about due anyway - it's been a few yrs since it was last done. At some point, I'll probably bring the car to someone that has experience adjusting these cables and get it done but it works for now.