Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

2002 Boxster S Six speed Trans Linkage Leak

Hey folks,
New here, with a new to me Boxster S with 153000 miles. This car has a leak where the clutch linkage enters the trans. Questions for the experts here:

-- Does the trans need to come out to fix this?
-- Will I have to open up the trans to fix this, or can I repair it from outside?

I searched and found some info, and so far I've read that you have to open the transmission, and one post said you have to machine it for a new bushing. Is that right? Or would an OEM bushing last another 150,000 miles? Thanks for any input. Going to try to attach a photo. It's leaking where the linkage enters the trans, which is right about the middle of the photo.

Edit: photo loaded sideways. Will try to redo it.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Tett; 04-11-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Tett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

2nd photo try

Let's try this...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
This is likely the most common issue with the 6 speed trans, likely more common than the second gear pop out or second gear grinding. Unless you are losing so much fluid that it pools in your drive way it is not a big problem. The bushing is fixable but cost is high and takes removing the trans.

Mine has this issue but is more like a 'weep' than a 'leak'. It has done its since I bought it 4 years ago and has not gotten any worse.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, Paul. I may very well live with it if I can overcome my urge to remove the transmission. Can you confirm that I must disassemble the transmission to replace the bushing? That may be the difference for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Everything I have been told or read indicates trans removal and disassembly to repair the bushing leak. A member of the board here, Timco, posted this so you may want to follow up with him.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59008-anyone-familiar-manual-transmission-leaks.html
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

Right on point. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Everything I have been told or read indicates trans removal and disassembly to repair the bushing leak. A member of the board here, Timco, posted this so you may want to follow up with him.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59008-anyone-familiar-manual-transmission-leaks.html
Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

Timco has a solution so I asked him if he would help us. It is an old thread so he may not see it ,so here is a copy.
Timco,
Thank you for explaining this modification to fix the oil leak from the shaft.Seems like a good "while you are already in there " job.
Do you have a recommendation for which specific bearing to use to replace the bronze bushing ? As you mentioned, the best possible oil seal is the trick.
As BYP suggested the CMS Motorsports Shift Arrester is another good upgrade - assuming the 2nd gear inspection passes.
https://californiamotorsports.net/products/cms-996-shift-arrester

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-13-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

Gelbster,
Thanks. Much appreciated.