Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Help! Need a 12v switched accessories feed?

I used to have a CDR23 radio so there's no switched feed in the loom. I'm also in the U.K. so I don't have the unused telephone connector in the centre console.

I've installed a new radio and need a 12v feed that's live with the first click of the key in the ignition. The wire that I'm currently feeding to the radio is only live when the ignition is fully on, which means the radio won't work with the engine off and the key in its first position - like a normal radio.

Is there a feed I can tap into the fuse box that's live on the first key position, and not just the second?

Thank you!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
I am No. 1348

Garage
This site has a How To video on how to install a 2-din radio and how to hook up to the Ignition switch. Have you checked this out? I've been researching this myself.

https://cai-store.com/pages/911-boxster-double-din-conversion
Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
This site has a How To video on how to install a 2-din radio and how to hook up to the Ignition switch. Have you checked this out? I've been researching this myself.

https://cai-store.com/pages/911-boxster-double-din-conversion
You're an absolute star. That's perfect!

Red wire behind the ignition switch. What's more is that I was looking for an illumination switch too, which is also there (Orange wire)

Thanks very much!!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

Change the ignition switch while you are in there ? (VW part number)
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
You're an absolute star. That's perfect!

Red wire behind the ignition switch. What's more is that I was looking for an illumination switch too, which is also there (Orange wire)

Thanks very much!!

The wording on that page is misleading. They were referring to their wiring that they added when they said "Red = Key-In Accessory, Orange = Illumination".

The orange wire is the 12V + accessory wire on the ignition switch. You can also tap fuse E1 as this is where that orange wire goes to.

You'll need to tap a different wire for dimming illumination (grey with blue stripe - can be found on instrument cluster connector if you don't have one behind the stereo).

Last edited by particlewave; 02-09-2017 at 11:29 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No!

The wording on that page is misleading. They were referring to their wiring that they added when they said "Red = Key-In Accessory, Orange = Illumination".

The orange wire is the 12V + accessory wire on the ignition switch. You can also tap fuse E1 as this is where that orange wire goes to.

You'll need to tap a different wire for dimming illumination (grey with blue stripe - can be found on instrument cluster connector if you don't have one behind the stereo).
Right! Perfect, thank you. The fuse will be easier as I'm already tapped into E8, so I just need to swap it thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Change the ignition switch while you are in there ? (VW part number)
Why?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #7

Well, there are different ways. If you want the same comfort functionality as your MOST bus hifi system has, you'll need a CAN bus adapter to generate the ignition, speed, reverse signal.

That means automatic turn off if you remove the hey from the ignition switch, turn radio on/off while there is no key in ignition switch, correct speed signal for navigation system, correct signal if you put your car into reverse…

Don't have the time to research, but this seems to be the right module if you don't use the stock fibre optic amp system (MOST bus): http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects-2-ct53-po01-porsche-boxster-911-active-system-adapter-non-fibre-optic

If you're using the stock MOST bus amp, you'll need something different. Ask the dealer before buying, if you are interested in the more sophisticated version.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-10-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Thanks Markus, appreciate it - I already tapped into fuse E8 to get a switched signal albeit the wrong one. So I just swapped it to fuse E1 and it was exactly what I needed.

Thanks all the same.