Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Help! Muffler Bracket - Which Way Is Up?

Guys - Need your kind assistance on this one!

I am ready to hang my new (used) Dansk sausage muffler, and I have noticed that the horizontal hanging bracket has offset holes for the main support bolts. I did not catch this subtle difference during disassembly, and so I now have a 50/50 chance of putting it wrong side up since this horizontal bracket can be fitted either way round.

See enclosed pictures of the backside of the muffler, where I have noted that the dimension from the edge to the bolt centerline is about 31 mm down and about 18 mm up from the bottom, as I have it installed at the moment.

Is this the right way up?

Or, do I have it bass ackwards, and the 18 mm distance goes towards the top, while the 31 mm is down towards the bottom edge?

This muffler is heavy, and I do not fancy the idea of having to uninstall it after discovering too late that I have it the wrong way up!

With many thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It looks like you have it right. See pics below...there seems to be more space above the center bolts than under it.

Boxster S By-Pass Muffler Done!!!! - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Guys - Need your kind assistance on this one!

I am ready to hang my new (used) Dansk sausage muffler, and I have noticed that the horizontal hanging bracket has offset holes for the main support bolts. I did not catch this subtle difference during disassembly, and so I now have a 50/50 chance of putting it wrong side up since this horizontal bracket can be fitted either way round.

See enclosed pictures of the backside of the muffler, where I have noted that the dimension from the edge to the bolt centerline is about 31 mm down and about 18 mm up from the bottom, as I have it installed at the moment.

Is this the right way up?

Or, do I have it bass ackwards, and the 18 mm distance goes towards the top, while the 31 mm is down towards the bottom edge?

This muffler is heavy, and I do not fancy the idea of having to uninstall it after discovering too late that I have it the wrong way up!

With many thanks - DM

You have it in the correct position.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Good luck with the 2 "U" shaped exhaust tubes when refitting. Let us know how it goes?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

Wink Excellent! Many thanks!

Thank you Boxtaboy and JFP for the confirmation - it was just down to dumb luck that I attached it as I did, not noticing the spacing difference until after the fact.

But I do now admit that I find it quite odd that this part does not come with any sort of a "This Side Up" marking, as it is obviously super easy to flip it around the wrong way.

Gelbster, I know what you mean about those U-pipes! But that will be work for tomorrow, as I am working in an unheated garage and I am done for the evening.

Since this issue has come up, here's a couple of work-in-progress pictures of one of my pair of gutted secondary cats. I cut the end of the canister off with a band saw, removed the heavy (7 pounds each!) metal honeycomb core, and then rewelded the end cap back on it.

End result should be a nice stealth look (disclaimer: for off-road use only of course).

Thanks - DM

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
But I do now admit that I find it quite odd that this part does not come with any sort of a "This Side Up" marking, as it is obviously super easy to flip it around the wrong way.

Since this issue has come up, here's a couple of work-in-progress pictures of one of my pair of gutted secondary cats. I cut the end of the canister off with a band saw, removed the heavy (7 pounds each!) metal honeycomb core, and then rewelded the end cap back on it.

End result should be a nice stealth look (disclaimer: for off-road use only of course).

Thanks - DM
Maybe some people did exactly that (install the other way), and thus it looks like their exhaust tips are touching the bumper cover. And wow!!....the canister looks like a major restriction!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Great work, but what about the Smog Test? Just get the engine fully warmed up ? That should work. But let us know?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
End result should be a nice stealth look (disclaimer: for off-road use only of course).´

???

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:

???

Regards, Markus
Ha! I should have said "track use" instead of "off road".

Don't think that the Boxster would make a good candidate for a Baja runner.

Thanks - DM
Old 12-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #10

Progress pictures from today

...... and yes, the bracket (see first post in thread) was indeed correct and right-side-up as noted by Boxtaboy and JFP, so thanks again!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Cool! So how's the sound?!

Old 12-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Cool! So how's the sound?!
Don't know yet; ran out of time today. Will complete the job and take it for a spin tomorrow.

But I should be the one asking you this, as I see in your sig that you already have this same muffler, right? How do you like it?

Thanks - DM
Old 12-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Don't know yet; ran out of time today. Will complete the job and take it for a spin tomorrow.

But I should be the one asking you this, as I see in your sig that you already have this same muffler, right? How do you like it?

Thanks - DM
I don't have the sausage type. I have the pressed sport with super sound tips. Sound is more throaty than OEM with hardly any of that annoying whine of the stock muffler when the revs drop. It's not as aggressive sounding as a PSE hacked muffler though, as it doesn't start getting loud till over 4K rpms. There's also no drone at all which I think the sausage type has a little of. I don't have gutted 2ndary cats though, so I think yours will sound better for sure!