Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cold Air Induction kits?

How many of you guys have replaced the air inlet plumbing with higher/better flowing CAI's? What were your thoughts about gains vs cost?

I've been thinking about adding one to our 2003 Boxster S. I'd like to get some input from actual users before I drop $700.00 + I know power gains are relative to the amount of power the engine produces before mods, I just don't want to spend poorly.

Thanks
Don

GR8WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:11 PM   #2

One of our local guys removed his as he was tired of the check engine lights. It is for sale.

The assumption is that the motor can use more air. Never see anything to prove that claim. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
Unregistered

I wanted to get a induction kit for my 03 box s as well, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've heard they can be a pain to intall and sometimes MAS problems crop up. It sounds like a big hassle and big $$$ for little or no gain. I'm going to keep looking into it.

Adam
Old 12-29-2003, 03:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

I've used a Densecharger on my Stangs in the past. Granted the gains weren't huge, but it did help a little. I may see if they are intrested in R&D one for the Boxster. I know it'll be alot cheaper than $700.00. It would still be nice to see the gains that people have gotten from different companies if possible. Some of the Stangs were getting that same bug with CAI's that had a 90 right before the MAS. Something about the way the air was following the bend and not really being read by the MAS that well. Pro M has a MAS that reads 360 around the inlet plumbing that usually solves those type bugs. If the CEL is from that, it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Thanks for any and all input, particularly the MAS bug.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:22 AM   #5

There is the same issue on the Boxster with some of these air flow kits. The air flow sensor either does not see the air or sees too much.

The other issue is the use of oiled filters - all the kits I have seen use an oiled air filter. The oil can migrate to the sensor and you get a check engine light.

But when they work people sure like them. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Yeah, I folow you on the oiling issue. It usually comes from an over oiled filter. A good spray eletronics cleaner on the MAS electronics and less oil in the filter should solve a little. I've seen a few, one in particular I bought, come from K&N soaked with oil. They say they load them a little heavy expecting some shelf time. They claim this is to prevent the filter media from drying on the shelf before you install it.

PS. Thanks for the help Jeff. I like to be aware of possible problems before I get into something.

Last edited by GR8WHITE; 12-29-2003 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #7

EVO seems to be a popular induction kit. I've seen them run about $400. I've heard that it's hard to wrestle the old box out and the new filter into the limited space of the boxster. It looks pretty cramped back there from the pics that I've seen. I've also heard the EVO fits very tightly in place and its a real stretch to fit it over the intake manifold. Many people have praised the EVO system once it is finally installed though. I still think the fabspeed package looks good which gives an extra 34hp(claimed) to the rear wheels. Now that is power that you can feel! If it is true then a 300hp boxster S is at anyone's finger tips. Plus, the engine stays N/A.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote