Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #1

will it fit?!?!?

do you think this would fit on a 986?

Diffuser (Metal) for 2014+ Porsche Cayman/S Boxster/S [981] by Borla (77013)

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

No, because the rear fascia (read bumper cover) is shaped differently on the 986.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

yeah, i am aware of that, as well as the difference pre- and post-facelift on the 986 rear bumper cover. I am not looking for a direct OEM-style fit, but whether if it could be made to fit. 986 and 981 overall width difference is only +/- 1/2", and the 981 borla muffler to which it mounts (i don't think it needs to attach to the bodywork) looks pretty similar to the knock-off aftermarket muffler i have on my 986, so thinking it could be hung off the back with just a bit of messing around. not much else out there for rear diffusers for the 986 except for gt3tek (and it appears to be more cosmetic and aerodynamic).
Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

here's the install manual:

https://www.borla.com/77013.pdf
Old 11-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #5

Garage
I believe it might be made to fit. Looks convincing. Thanks for sharing it with us

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
It could fit, but I think some cutting will be necessary to either the rear bumper or the diffuser itself. Another question to ask is "Will it work?" From what I understand, the diffuser really needs to extend in front of the rear wheels to get the flow. That diffuser looks kinda short.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
It could fit, but I think some cutting will be necessary to either the rear bumper or the diffuser itself. Another question to ask is "Will it work?" From what I understand, the diffuser really needs to extend in front of the rear wheels to get the flow. That diffuser looks kinda short.
+1 on the above, it needs another dam at the wheels to prevent air from being pulled in from the wheel wells. Further would need to add a front splitter to control air under the car, but it's all for naught since those darned radiators dump all that air under the car! I do like the bernoulli curve on the GT3 Tek better though.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-24-2016 at 07:46 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

well, if you look at the install manual, the diffuser appears to mate relatively well with the tray under the transmission. between the two of them it gets the underneath of the car pretty well covered, except where you need to leave room for the suspension to do its stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Radium King; 11-25-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

In my somewhat limited experience, getting aftermarket body parts to fit on cars that they weren't designed for (and even those that they are designed for) can be very time (and thus, money) consuming.

Body work is an exacting task since your eye is incredibly good at detecting minor variances in line and proportion. Thus, what might appear to be an easy mod to get something to fit, rarely is. And if you don't have the skills or patience to DIY, the bill to hire a body professional can add up quickly.

If you go into this thinking that its going to be expensive, you probably won't be surprised or disappointed. Then, if it turns out to be easy, you'll have hit a home run.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

well, the hope was no bodywork - that the arse end of the 981 is wider than the 986 so that the diffuser would fit inside the bumper cover with no trimming. the diffuser appears to attach at three places on the muffler so it would hang suspended from that with no body contact.

i could buy this:

Aluminum Utility Sheet 3003-H14 1/8 .125" x 24" x 36" | eBay

and these:

Dodge Viper 6 Rear Fins / Diffusers | eBay

and three exhaust hangers. i could make a template out of cardboard, cut-out the sheet alu, roll the rear lip (i have a friend with a sheet metal roller) fasten the fins and hang from the exhaust. thing is, with shipping i would be looking at $300 just in material. given that time is money, it would be nice to just buy something.

Last edited by The Radium King; 11-25-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #11

Garage
Now this is a decent design!

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote