Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Mystery connector in console

While installing my new ball bearing short shifter today, I discovered an unused mystery wire connector. It is in the vicinity of the hand brake lever, and has a pair of wires - an all-brown one and a brown/orange one. It is not the light for the ashtray light as you can see that I labeled this in my picture.

Any ideas?

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
This wire connects to the console lid micro switch.
Basically if the lid is opened while the car is locked, the switch triggers the alarm.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

Wow! Who knew?

Thanks - Your explanation seems logical. Considering both the length and the location of the wire, it makes sense that it would be console cubby related.

But I looked over that area thoroughly before I reinstalled the console yesterday, and saw no connection point. Plus I do not recall this feature being mentioned in the owner's manual.

Might this be a part of some option package which the original owner chose not to include, perhaps?

Thanks - DM
Old 11-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

When you lock your car, does the horn give a little honk? If so, it's a signal that something with the security system is amiss, and the center console lock/latch connector being unconnected might be the culprit. Not that it's that big of a deal and some may even prefer the horn honking when they lock the doors.

Another connector in the general vicinity is an e-brake electrical connector. One of its functions is to display the "brake" dashboard light reminder, to help remind you to unset your e-brake before driving away. And a further function is requiring the e-brake be set, (as a safety feature), before the electric top motor will operate.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

If my 01 is indicative, Meir nailed it. The cubby wires are brown and brown/orange. The parking brake wires are brown and brown/yellow.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
When you lock your car, does the horn give a little honk? If so, it's a signal that something with the security system is amiss, and the center console lock/latch connector being unconnected might be the culprit. Not that it's that big of a deal and some may even prefer the horn honking when they lock the doors.

Another connector in the general vicinity is an e-brake electrical connector. One of its functions is to display the "brake" dashboard light reminder, to help remind you to unset your e-brake before driving away. And a further function is requiring the e-brake be set, (as a safety feature), before the electric top motor will operate.
No honking when I lock/unlock the car, just one/two light flashes. And my dash light for the emergency brake works just fine, but good suggestion ideas nevertheless.

I am of the opinion that my connector was never hooked up to anything prior to my removal of the console; thus my wondering if it might have been pre-wired for an option package which my car did not have.