Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #1

Smile Nos

I have a 99 boxster and lately I have been think of installation a NOS kit, have anyone done that before, is there defects that I should consider?

Thanks
jdff

jdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #2

Having run Nitrous on many cars I think I can help you out.

It would be a fiarly simple install, I think the bottle would have to go in the front trunk run the lines under the car and the nossle and solenoids would all fit in the engine bay pretty easily now that I have seen it.

You will want a wet kit, and stay to about 50hp shot. You may need to upgrade the intake fuel pump depending on how strong it is, I'm not sure and would have to see the figures on it.

Also good idea to run plugs one stage colder than stock. In NGK that means a lower number(eg. BPR7ES to BPR6ES), in Bosch that means a higher number.

Across a 6 cylinder I think there there would be much problem running a 50shot on it and that will give you a huge boost in power, trust me. With an NX kit, a 50 shot made 47hp and 81ft/lbs of torque on one of my old cars. I generally use NX nitrous kits as I find them the best built and the most reliabile.

The thing about nitrous is you have to pay to fill the bottle so you end up not wanting to use it. Then when you want to use it you have to stop and open the bottle, so its really more of an occation thing. If you buy a remote bottle opener you can solve that problem. A purge valve is nice addition too.

At 50hp level you can make about 15-20 full 1/4 mile passes which you never really do on the street so it would last much longer then that. I have used entire bottles in one night out racing around on the street. Typically its $50 to fill a bottle.

I'm also going to cue all the people who are going to say it will break your motor, your motor can't take it and that you will end up with a bunch of problems right now....
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #3

it will break your motor, your motor can't take it and that you will end up with a bunch of problems right now....

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #4

Hey, these motors break for no reason. Why not give them an excuse?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #5

It's fairly interesting to me that I've seen several discussions on Nitrous, a few opinions, but no one seems to have actually done this.

I think the time is NOW!

JDFF - You need to go out and get this done immediately! Time's a-wasting. HOP-HOP. You have our complete support. Hell, we put up with Mach Schnell and his shimmying, I think we can be there for someone putting in Nitrous. Please make sure to post pictures on anything you've done.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #6

Do you know where I can buy those kits? I was thinking to use one of those hand type of triggers since I don't want to attache a switch on my car.
Also I was told to attach the nitro to my air in take instead to the fuel injectors this will not harm my engine and fuel line too bad.. have you ever heard of that?

Thanks
jdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Having run Nitrous on many cars I think I can help you out.

It would be a fiarly simple install, I think the bottle would have to go in the front trunk run the lines under the car and the nossle and solenoids would all fit in the engine bay pretty easily now that I have seen it.

You will want a wet kit, and stay to about 50hp shot. You may need to upgrade the intake fuel pump depending on how strong it is, I'm not sure and would have to see the figures on it.

Also good idea to run plugs one stage colder than stock. In NGK that means a lower number(eg. BPR7ES to BPR6ES), in Bosch that means a higher number.

Across a 6 cylinder I think there there would be much problem running a 50shot on it and that will give you a huge boost in power, trust me. With an NX kit, a 50 shot made 47hp and 81ft/lbs of torque on one of my old cars. I generally use NX nitrous kits as I find them the best built and the most reliabile.

The thing about nitrous is you have to pay to fill the bottle so you end up not wanting to use it. Then when you want to use it you have to stop and open the bottle, so its really more of an occation thing. If you buy a remote bottle opener you can solve that problem. A purge valve is nice addition too.

At 50hp level you can make about 15-20 full 1/4 mile passes which you never really do on the street so it would last much longer then that. I have used entire bottles in one night out racing around on the street. Typically its $50 to fill a bottle.

I'm also going to cue all the people who are going to say it will break your motor, your motor can't take it and that you will end up with a bunch of problems right now....

Last edited by jdff; 06-13-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #7

This is what your looking for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NX-Nitrous-Express-Single-Nozzle-Import-EFI-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33740QQihZ019QQi temZ8074006497QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/CustomStage1.htm

You can triger it however you want, typically what your talking about is from hollywood and nobody with nitrous ever uses it that way. It has a microswitch by the throttle body so it knows when your at WOT and will only spray then plus an arming switch so it will only spray when it's armed and at wot. Thats all. You can hand triger it with a button if you want but thats so F&F. Nobody with real nitrous systems acctually do that.

Nitrous is the "Air" you always add fuel.

Dry kits (unlike what I posted) still add nitrous to the intake but double up the fuel pressure at the FPR to add the additional fuel.

Wet kits spray both nitrous and fuel through the nossle which is the best way.

Direct Port kits has one nossle per cylinder and drill into the intake manifold. Unless your spraying big, you don't need it.

The Single nossle wet kit which I have shown is the most reliable best HP producing way to make power. NX guarantees with in 2% of the claimed HP output at the wheels. Meaning if you have a 50hp jet in the system it will make 50hp or damn close within 1 hp at the wheels. It does too, I have dyno tested it on 3 of my cars with nitrous and trust me, the power really is there.. My 100whp shot made 99hp and 144ft/lbs of torque which is huge. Ran it all the time on my GTI.

Here are pics of my Direct Port system. Notice each nossle has two lines for nitrous and fuel. The wet kit is the same but one nossle into the intake pipe not 6.

Yes I made all the lines and did the whole system myself. Thats a 75-150hp setup there. I sprayed everything from 75 to 150 on it too. Not over 100 with pump gas tho, used 117 for 125-150hp shots. There is acctually a carburated regulator before the fuel solenoid there (in red) and I reduced the FI fuel pressure to carburated levels and ran a larger jetting pattern for a wider ranges of hp levels. Kinda hard to explain if you don't know nitrous. People who have lots of nitrous experience really appreciate the system for it's compleity yet being utterly simple.

I'm somewhat of an authority on nitrous if I do say so myself.

Last edited by 986Jim; 06-13-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #8

Once you press the trigger, how does it work, I heard that you can only use it for 10-20sec and I'm afraid of not knowing when to stop. does the trigger measures the shot? it knows how much nitro it can spray?

Thanks again, I'm looking to buy the kit now!!!

jdff

Quote:
This is what your looking for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NX-Nitrous-Express-Single-Nozzle-Import-EFI-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33740QQihZ019QQi temZ8074006497QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/CustomStage1.htm

You can triger it however you want, typically what your talking about is from hollywood and nobody with nitrous ever uses it that way. It has a microswitch by the throttle body so it knows when your at WOT and will only spray then plus an arming switch so it will only spray when it's armed and at wot. Thats all. You can hand triger it with a button if you want but thats so F&F. Nobody with real nitrous systems acctually do that.

Nitrous is the "Air" you always add fuel.

Dry kits (unlike what I posted) still add nitrous to the intake but double up the fuel pressure at the FPR to add the additional fuel.

Wet kits spray both nitrous and fuel through the nossle which is the best way.

Direct Port kits has one nossle per cylinder and drill into the intake manifold. Unless your spraying big, you don't need it.

The Single nossle wet kit which I have shown is the most reliable best HP producing way to make power. NX guarantees with in 2% of the claimed HP output at the wheels. Meaning if you have a 50hp jet in the system it will make 50hp or damn close within 1 hp at the wheels. It does too, I have dyno tested it on 3 of my cars with nitrous and trust me, the power really is there.. My 100whp shot made 99hp and 144ft/lbs of torque which is huge. Ran it all the time on my GTI.

Here are pics of my Direct Port system. Notice each nossle has two lines for nitrous and fuel. The wet kit is the same but one nossle into the intake pipe not 6.

Yes I made all the lines and did the whole system myself. Thats a 75-150hp setup there. I sprayed everything from 75 to 150 on it too. Not over 100 with pump gas tho, used 117 for 125-150hp shots. There is acctually a carburated regulator before the fuel solenoid there (in red) and I reduced the FI fuel pressure to carburated levels and ran a larger jetting pattern for a wider ranges of hp levels. Kinda hard to explain if you don't know nitrous. People who have lots of nitrous experience really appreciate the system for it's compleity yet being utterly simple.

I'm somewhat of an authority on nitrous if I do say so myself.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdff
Once you press the trigger, how does it work, I heard that you can only use it for 10-20sec and I'm afraid of not knowing when to stop. does the trigger measures the shot? it knows how much nitro it can spray?

Thanks again, I'm looking to buy the kit now!!!

jdff
Your nitrous kit uses jets like these:
http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/dynotune_599_nitrous_and_fuel_fogger_jets_320.jpg

They go in the nossle where the lines attach to it. They are small holes drilled in them to that the kit sprays a pre-determined amount of nitrous and fuel to make a certian amount of HP.

THe NX Single nossle wet kit uses a jet with a .035 hole in it for nitrous and .020 for fuel. This restricts the flow allowing only 50hp of nitrous and fuel mixture by the jet. You want higher you increase the jetting or jet sizes.

It's true you can only spray for 15-20 seconds, however you know when to let off. Me spraying my GTI for 12 seconds layed a 12.5 @ 110mph pass in the 1/4 mile. If you were to spray for 20 seconds solid you would be well over 150mph even in a boxster so there isn't much worry of you spraying for too long. You just arm the system and floor the gas it does the rest. When you don't wanna spray you just don't arm the system.

Generally you keep the bottle turned off all the time, so you would have to open the bottle prior to planning on using the system, or get a remote bottle opener.

If your serious read this thread on DSMTuners http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95063

A guy I know there wrote it up and it has lots of good kn00bie info in it which you may wanna take the time to read if your serious.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hey, these motors break for no reason. Why not give them an excuse?

Bruce....your absolutely right....hahaha

with a 50 shot, your motor will be able to handle it NO PROBLEM. A good estimate on what is "Safe" is usually 1/2 of your motor's original HP. For 250 HP you can safely run a 125 shot of nitrous. I would suggest a wet set-up, it's easier on the motor and is more efficient.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #11

Why I can't leave my bottle open at all times?

Thanks
jdff

Quote:
Your nitrous kit uses jets like these:
http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/dynotune_599_nitrous_and_fuel_fogger_jets_320.jpg

They go in the nossle where the lines attach to it. They are small holes drilled in them to that the kit sprays a pre-determined amount of nitrous and fuel to make a certian amount of HP.

THe NX Single nossle wet kit uses a jet with a .035 hole in it for nitrous and .020 for fuel. This restricts the flow allowing only 50hp of nitrous and fuel mixture by the jet. You want higher you increase the jetting or jet sizes.

It's true you can only spray for 15-20 seconds, however you know when to let off. Me spraying my GTI for 12 seconds layed a 12.5 @ 110mph pass in the 1/4 mile. If you were to spray for 20 seconds solid you would be well over 150mph even in a boxster so there isn't much worry of you spraying for too long. You just arm the system and floor the gas it does the rest. When you don't wanna spray you just don't arm the system.

Generally you keep the bottle turned off all the time, so you would have to open the bottle prior to planning on using the system, or get a remote bottle opener.

If your serious read this thread on DSMTuners http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95063

A guy I know there wrote it up and it has lots of good kn00bie info in it which you may wanna take the time to read if your serious.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdff
Why I can't leave my bottle open at all times?

Thanks
jdff
Because it's hard on the solenoids with 1400psi on them constantly plus no system is sealed 100% so it will eventually leak out and be lost. You can leave it open for a few hours, but it would probablly empty completly over the course of a few days.

You have to keep the bottle closed. Thats why you either need a remote bottle opener or just open it when your going out and know you'll be messin around with the car. (ie not going to work or something)
Old 06-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #13

Do it, be the NO2 Boxster Pioneer.

Holy cow, you've got to do this! I've been wondering about nitrous for a while, something subtle (50 shot) like what you're looking at.

But, to those that know more about it... wouldn't it be a better idea to put the bottle in the rear? Seems like a shorter wiring job, as well as the fact that it's warmer back there makes it like a built in bottle heater.

"these motors break for no reason..." That was hilarious!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #14

With the bottle brackets I doubt it would fit in the rear trunk. It just doesn't seem to be tall enough back there. The bottle in the stand is about 18" high or so, not sure if it would clear. If so then that would would for sure.