Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Abuser

Garage
Do I need to adjust my shift cable(s)... and how?

2000 Boxster S and I'm having some issues with the shifter.

First off, I have no idea if the shifter is original or aftermarket. My gut tells me the previous owner put a different shifter in, as it's got some fancy (blue) anodized billet pieces to it and it feels really short.

Regardless, I'm having some troubles engaging reverse and 5th gear with the shifter. I'm 99% certain that this is related to the cable / shifter. With the cables off the transmission, I can very easily pull the levers into both 5th and reverse with a very resounding "ca-chunk!" When I put the cables back onto the transmission and use the shifter inside the car, the gears are barely engaging.

All of the even number gears feel great and have a very reassuring feel when pulling into gear but 1st and 3rd gears feel mediocre at best. With this being told, I feel that the problem is simply a matter of adjusting the cable that is responsible for the fore-aft movement of the shifter. Has anyone else ever experienced this before?

-Andy

Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #2

Search for the cable adjustment tool. It is not essential but makes it easier. Also for background read up about Ben's Shifter in the Project Section.
Ball bearing short shifter !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
If you have an aftermarket shifter, the tool will not help.
Just remove the center consul, and play with the linkage settings.
The left linkage is responsible to the left right travel.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Those aftermarket shifters have some threaded stop adjustments that sound like they're essential to get adjusted properly, in order to get rid rid of fore/aft slop. I'd check those and make sure they're adjusted properly - should be tight but without causing noticeable friction or binding. Might benefit from some thread locker to keep them from moving if you did find them loosening. Might be able to access by lifting up the shift boot.

While you're at it, inspect the socket fitting underneath the shift console to make sure it's not binding or hanging up on something. If not in good shape, replace with new - (they're available from Porsche as a separate part). I've seen some with shredded rubber areas before, and that can't be good. If you have short shift, it's also probably best to verify that the original green plastic "shield" that is originally under the linkage is removed (for adequate additional clearance which I think is necessary with the aftermarket short shifter - maybe it was installed incorrectly).

Next, check and consider adjusting the shift rod adjustment that controls the front-back cable position, also below (and just in front of) the shift console. You may need to remove or loosen the plastic center console to get to it. Adjust it to adjust the knob position such that the r,1,3,5 are easier to reach with knob in a neutral range of motion.

Next, after doing all that if still not happy with the results, check out the rubber bushing back where the shift rod terminates, and connects to the transmission input lever. Make sure the rubber bushing isn't torn, or it could cause excessive play.

Last edited by jakeru; 11-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Abuser

Garage
Thanks for the input everyone.

The car is currently high-up on the lift (so I can still park the daily driver in the garage at night) under going heart surgery. I'll try to pull the console off this weekend and get some better pictures of what I've got.

Thanks again for the advice(s).

Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote