Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 05:24 AM   #1

Alternator Removal - been researching but a bit stuck

2004 986 Boxster S UK right hand drive

OK, having watched a couple of YouTube videos I am still a little unclear on two things.

1) one video suggests the alternator is removed from above but I can't see how that happens with the manifolds in the way.

Surely it comes through the front into the passenger compartment.

2) I have the belt removed and the drivers side bolt removed. It's a right had drive car. The more central bolt and pulley have been removed but I can't get the alternator to pull through to the front.

Any tips for working the unit out? There are hoses tight above the alternator. The engine block below.

The collar in the back of the alternator housing for the central bolt is seized solid so I plan to take that out and replace with a new one once the alternator is out. Is that feasible?

Many thanks

Derek

Last edited by Lanark; 11-06-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: More info
Lanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

It comes out the front. Soak the bolts with PB Blaster, remove bolts and maneuver the alternator around the collar and out the front. Once loose, you can disconnect wiring and finish the removal.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
It comes out the front. Soak the bolts with PB Blaster, remove bolts and maneuver the alternator around the collar and out the front. Once loose, you can disconnect wiring and finish the removal.
Thanks for confirming.

I have two bolts out.

One at the lower left as you look at the alternator

The other on the pulley. I have removed the pulley and the belt. I understand the suggested way is for the collar to come out on the shaft with the pulley but I don't understand why that has to be the case or why the alternator won't come out with that collar still in place.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Hello Derek,

have you seen this instruction: Porsche Boxster Alternator Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Yip, and I have everything undone, but it doesn't want to come out. There is a lot of friction between the alternator and the two points where the bolt with the pulley wheel goes through.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
Yip, and I have everything undone, but it doesn't want to come out. There is a lot of friction between the alternator and the two points where the bolt with the pulley wheel goes through.
Derek, here's a one minute video I made just for you. I hope it helps.

Update: I started cleaning my garage and found an actual Boxster alternator and mount. I made an improved version of the video:

Last edited by 78F350; 11-06-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Newer video
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

What a kind gesture !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #8

78F350

Thank you very much for taking the time to make and post the video. That is very kind.

The bolt and pulley are off already and getting the bolt back in to free off the nut is just not happening as I can't get it aligned. Should I make up drift and use it to knock the nut until it frees off. I take it doing that pulls the nut forward a little and reduces friction between the captive nut and the part the alternator fixes to allowing it to come out?

I don't understand what role the nut plays in making it difficult to remove the alt

Last edited by Lanark; 11-06-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #9

It's out.

A bit of force did the trick.

It's now apart on the bench. Rectifier not showing any signs of corrosion. It's a bosch item too. A lot of surface corrosion where the windings terminate though.

Last edited by Lanark; 11-06-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
I don't understand what role the nut plays in making it difficult to remove the alt
I just remade the video (to avoid doing actual work) and it explains the bushing/nut better. See the 'New and improved" video now in post #6.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I just remade the video (to avoid doing actual work) and it explains the bushing/nut better. See the 'New and improved" video now in post #6.
Funnily enough I just watched that on YouTube to make sure I understood it right.

Great video which explains the tension nature of the fixing.

The new reg/rec arrived today and the brushes on the old one are well down. Got a bit of corrosion to deal with where the windings come out the alternator housing.

At the moment the captive nut is soaking in ACF50 to free it off a bit so it goes in nice and easy. Brute force on the hammer isn't working yet
Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

More details on R&R in Wayne's book at Pelican- just look up the project for lots of photos
Porsche Boxster Alternator Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #13

This has not been going well.

Firstly, the locking bush has seized solid and my efforts to get it loose resulted in the lug shearing off.

So I bought a remanufactured unit, which also has a seized locking bush and has no other work done to it. The diode bridge and reg/Rec have not been replaced.

Some people really are just scum